Van and Barlow...match made in heaven?

you're not the only one. i dont think he is 100% cheese all the time, but there are a few songs that he ruins with the cheese. plus schaffer was pretty much out of riffs by the time he joined up anyway.

Used to have never ending Warrel vs Matt debates with a friend of mine. I like Barlow on many songs, but said that most of the time he just laid the "emotion" (if that's what you want to call it) on way too thick, to the point where it sounded like he wanted a tissue every time. It was either him trying to sound like Paul Stanley meets Chris Cornell, or someone from an older thrash band. Still think he's the vocalist that fit Iced Earth the best though overall. Stu is probably the second best.

Dracula was probably one of the best vocal perfomances from Barlow with Iced Earth. Was also one of the very few songs that were any good off of Horror Show.

Barlow's emotional delivery is definitely going to a primary contributor in whether or not he resonates with the listener. Personally, I think he's one of the two or three best vocalists in Metal.

Here's the news. What a stupid name.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=178703

Former ICED EARTH members Matt Barlow (vocals) and Freddie Vidales (bass, guitar), along with ex-NEVERMORE drummer Van Williams, have set ASHES OF ARES as the name of their brand new project.

Within months of their departures from the iconic metal bands ICED EARTH and NEVERMORE, the trio came together with a renewed drive to create a sound which is a true collaboration of their personal influences, ideas and visions. Armed with the knowledge acquired through years of the writing, touring and recording cycle, and with the support of an army of loyal fans across the globe, ASHES OF ARES is poised to carve out a new legacy and stand alongside those who have helped pave the way.

A new taste of what is to come can be heard in the YouTube clip below.

Commented Barlow: "Well, though we are still in the early stages of progress, we are really excited about what we are hearing thus far. We hope that you have patience with us as we continue with this creative process and search for a record label that will help us bring our music to you all in the best way. Thanks for all your support.... More to come!"

Barlow announced his retirement from ICED EARTH in March 2011, citing his commitment to his family and the need for the group to tour more as the reasons for his exit.

Vidales left ICED EARTH earlier this year for reasons which were not disclosed. He says, "I know from the outside it seems nuts to leave a band with so much going for it, but from the inside it made a lot of sense to me." He adds, "I did not leave because Matt left or so we could work on this [new project], I also did not leave because of the heavy touring. I was actually glad that the touring had picked up. My reasons are private. The guys in the band know, and that's all who need to know."

Williams and guitarist Jeff Loomis announced their departure from NEVERMORE in April 2011 due to personal differences with the band's lead singer, Warrel Dane, and bassist, Jim Sheppard.

Last edited by a moderator:
the band name is far from cheesy, comparatively speaking. just take a read of blabbermouth and see some awful names. or look up the new england metal festival and look at the second tier bands. some laughable names there.

the band name is far from cheesy, comparatively speaking. just take a read of blabbermouth and see some awful names. or look up the new england metal festival and look at the second tier bands. some laughable names there.

Oh I know. Band names get more and more ridiculous with each generation, mostly because the good ones are all used up.