Van Halen "Unchained" Isolated Guitar Track

Awesome! First time I heard this.
You can clearly hear the flatted B string on this isolated track.

Its sounds like the Variac'd Plexi that Mr Van Halen was famous for.

Nah, way too much preamp-distortion in this one.
My guess would be that this is the infamous Jose Arredondo modified Marshall 1959 SLP(Which has an extra preamp tube if i recall it correctly..).

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just watching some footage of the '07 tour on youtube the other day and Dave completely fucked up the break in "Panama" as he suddenly thought he was doing "Ain't talking...". :tickled:

So need to see them live one day. :(

Nah, way too much preamp-distortion in this one.
My guess would be that this is the infamous Jose Arredondo modified Marshall 1959 SLP(Which has an extra preamp tube if i recall it correctly...

This is a common misconception. Eddie never got any of his amps modded by Jose. He plugged Jose's services for a while as a personal favor, and was friends with him, but none of Eddie's Marshalls were modded. 100% stock. I've read this in interviews with Eddie, and I also met producer Ted Templeman one time and asked him about it, and he confirmed to me that Eddie's Marshalls were all stock.

He always used the Variac, up until he switched from a Marshall to a 5150. When you crank the voltage of an amp, it makes EVERY section of the amp have more gain. Eddie also had to change tubes daily on tour, he said he never got more than 10 hours out of a set of tubes when using the Variac.

It really blows my mind how dirty that guitar sound is. Its got SO MUCH crunch. Its so nasally and dirgy its beautiful. Its so 5150esq :)

The man was a genius tonally, he really was able to make shit sound SO DIFFERENT with the most basic of gear. That tone is just godly even to this day. I would love to hear a modern production with that tone, it would just fucking slay.

This is a common misconception. Eddie never got any of his amps modded by Jose. He plugged Jose's services for a while as a personal favor, and was friends with him, but none of Eddie's Marshalls were modded. 100% stock. I've read this in interviews with Eddie, and I also met producer Ted Templeman one time and asked him about it, and he confirmed to me that Eddie's Marshalls were all stock.

He always used the Variac, up until he switched from a Marshall to a 5150. When you crank the voltage of an amp, it makes EVERY section of the amp have more gain. Eddie also had to change tubes daily on tour, he said he never got more than 10 hours out of a set of tubes when using the Variac.

He used the Variac to increase the voltage? I always thought it was to decrease it, killing the headroom on everything so it broke up sooner...? (I'm a total electronics n00b though, so I could be to totally backwards on that) But yeah, that tone is just incredible, jesus