Van Halen?

How can you guys say Sammy is a better (or even close to being a better) guitar player than Eddie? I don't think I've ever heard anything so insane in my life. Sammy better than Dave, OK, you guys have an argument. He's not even in the same league as Eddie.

Platinum Maze said:
How can you guys say Sammy is a better (or even close to being a better) guitar player than Eddie?
Easily, he has a better feel, phrasing, tone, vibrato, anything. You had guys like Holdsworth, Di Meola, McLaughlin, Roth, Stefanovski before EVH doing stuff he could never imagine pulling off to save his life yet he was heralded as he were the greatest virtuoso on earth and why? Well, he was an average wanker but he sure did play in a chart-topping american commercial rock band.
Oh, and for the record, I do love some Van Halen stuff, but certaintly not for the guitar playing.

This is news to me. Not that polls or lists mean dick, but I've never seen Sammy anywhere near a list of best guitarists. I know he's a great writer and probably an above average guitar player, but he's never blown anyone with his leads, at least not me.

I recall Farm Aid in 1985, when he was first seen live with EVH, he pointed to Eddie and said, "The King, the King."

Wallwhacker.jpg

urinalcakemix said:
Thats fiction..... right.... They wouldn'y use Gary Cherone again.... are they that....... NOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'd take Cherone for another album. VH3 was purely Ed's baby in the song writing department. Got a problem with VH3, talk to Ed. Lay the blame at his feet. Cherone is the one guy who can do the Roth material, the Hagar material, and still inject some of his own into the mix. Think of all the classic numbers that the band did on the VH3 tour. Those classics would never have happened with Sammy. Much as I love Sammy, he did prevent them from dipping further into the back catalog. I respect Sammy's thought of not wanting to taint the memories of DLR fans, but sometimes you have to give. 6 albums is a sizable portion of a band's life to ignore.

and that's my 2 cents.

Glenn

SevenString said:
hey glenn:

how about joe lynn turner as a VH vocalist? his cover of "Dance the Night Away" on the "Little Guitars" tribute CD was VERY roth-like, PLUS he's got the chops to do other stuff as well.
As much as I like Joe Lynn Turner, I wouldn't do it. I think he's a good singer, but he's not a singer for Van Halen. Van Halen needs someone who will be a bit more of a showman. I'm not suggesting a highly extroverted personality, but someone who's willing to have some fun and kick ass at the same time is what they need.

Glenn

Well, they ARE American party metal, and they're the best at it... so rock on, VH.

I heard not too long ago that Hagar was going to be on the next album, actually. I guess I'm glad he's not going to be.