Vanden Plas - Chronicles of the Immortals (Netherworld)

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Mine came in the mail yesterday. I actually grimaced a bit on first spin. This disc is adventurous even by Vanden Plas standards. After about half a dozen spins or so....... I absolutely love it. There is a duet in here, some children's choir, a narration. Only Vanden Plas can pull stuff like this off. Still to early for a real review, but they are in top form.
This thing (actually two releases, the other to be early 2015) is a huge undertaking to try and turn a novel/theatrical play into a metal album . I was scared it was going to be terrible. What an amazing band, they are. They pulled it off in a grand way.

Bryant

I didn't push this one on people (unlike Christ 0) as I think this one nearly requires a you to be a VP fan to "get it." Not to take anything away from it though. They are self produced. In other words, they get this adult choir, children's choir, orchestra and guest vocalist and not only do they write this incredibly complex arrangements, but record them as well. The amount of work that went into this album is absolutely incredible. While something like this surely isn't for everyone, there just aren't many bands that can pull this type of release off.

Bryant

I guess u could say a very original sounding band.. I can't see any of my friends getting this. But I do.

It is definitely not for everyone, but they didn't really release this for everyone, anyway. Vanden Plas is a very odd animal. Andy, is an actor/singer for a theater in Kaiserslautern and the rest of the band plays in the orchestra pit. They don't tour as a band, though they do play festivals. The majority of the money they earn comes from their work in the theater. They are now taking their theater experience with orchestra and choir etc. and introducing it more into Vanden Plas music. Some will like it and some won't, but given what they do with their life, they are being honest with themselves and the direction the music is going.
Having said that, Vanden Plas also brings metal into the theater. Here is a piece of one of the productions. Sounds odd hearing the first song on this video being sung by someone else other than Andy ha ha ha.

Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:
It is definitely not for everyone, but they didn't really release this for everyone, anyway. Vanden Plas is a very odd animal. Andy, is an actor/singer for a theater in Kaiserslautern and the rest of the band plays in the orchestra pit. They don't tour as a band, though they do play festivals. The majority of the money they earn comes from their work in the theater. They are now taking their theater experience with orchestra and choir etc. and introducing it more into Vanden Plas music. Some will like it and some won't, but given what they do with their life, they are being honest with themselves and the direction the music is going.
Having said that, Vanden Plas also brings metal into the theater. Here is a piece of one of the productions. Sounds odd hearing the first song on this video being sung by someone else other than Andy ha ha ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXavIVW0LHw

Bryant

I watched this & now I see part 1 is up at youtube also. I don't speak german so I lose what is going on between songs but the music is them. I knew they did theater but I did not expect this.

I bet this never plays in San Jose, ca but if it did I would go.

What's their best album, Bryant?

I think their best release for a general metal fan is probably "Christ 0." In fact, "Silently" from that release is probably my favorite song...... of all time. After Christ 0, Vanden Plas really went into some real artsy stuff. I love it, but I think it is best for established fans. It is very progressive. It isn't "prog" in the way like most prog-metal bands do "prog" where there are 30 time changes and cramming as many notes they can play in a few seconds, mind you. What they do are incorporate small orchestras, choirs and stuff like that. Vanden Plas is more about texture and subtlety, but it is still "different." Therefore, I would say "The Seraphic Clockwork" and the latest, "Chronicles of the Immortals" would take the longest to "get."
My second choice would be "Far Off Grace" then probably "The God Thing." If you want to hear someone sing a ballad, look up "I Don't Miss You" from "Far Off Grace." As far as The God Thing, anyone who loved Dream Theater's Images and Words, but hated "Awake" should definitely check out that one out. VP is FAR from a DT clone, even back then, but "The God Thing" was the followup to I&W that it took a decade for DT to make.

Bryant

I watched this & now I see part 1 is up at youtube also. I don't speak german so I lose what is going on between songs but the music is them. I knew they did theater but I did not expect this.

I bet this never plays in San Jose, ca but if it did I would go.

They have been doing this for YEARS. I have two of their theater works on DVD. Unfortunately, they only do theater in Germany.

If you think that is cool....... you should see them do an acoustic set. Gunter will make you want to punch him in the eye, he is so good at playing a piano. He actually does play it on his synth, but it is just the piano patch, no other voices. He is a WORLD CLASS pianist. He has to be, because piano bores the shit out of me, yet I find his playing incredible. Andy...... he is incredible live. Yes, he is a great metal singer, but let's face it, his voice is really more cut out for subtlety and emotics, as opposed to power. He will make a tear well up in your eye when he does the acoustic stuff with the beauty in his voice. Not to say he can't get power and range when he wants. When they did "Gethsemane" acoustic, he absolutely mowed down the audience.

Bryant