Vast Oceans Lachrymose reviews

By Chris Papadakis - http://www.doom-metal.com

Well time passes really fast after all. Six years have passed since 2003 the year when “Of Empires Forlorn” by the Virginia, US based Doomsters While Heaven Wept was released and to me it is like just yesterday. We are now on 2009 and yes we all have been waiting for so long for the follower “Vast Oceans Lachrymose” album. Its release has been announced almost immediately after the release of the “Of Empires Forlorn” followed by many specific details given by the band’s main man Tom Philips that made the agony for the final musical result bigger and bigger. It was not only the statement that While Heaven Wept would follow a little different musical path adding a more powerful meanwhile progressive touch into their music, it was mainly the fact that the standards of this band were already very high and everyone deep into their music was anxious enough to hear what more this band could do that will be better than their already released masterpieces.

Six years have passed and it seems that after a long period of silence While heaven Wept are back releasing their best album. Before I focus into the music I would like to go on a little flashback on June 2009 when the band announced their new singer: vocalist Rain Irving, (formerly of Magna Carta/Roadrunner recording artist Altura who released a progressive metal classic entitled "Mercy" back in 1996) was announced as the official singer of While Heaven Wept back then. I left a little bit anxious after reading this because Tom Philips vocals was something more than a trademark for While Heaven Wept. After this announcement the agony for the album was bigger than ever. But now it is over…

I think that musical terms are a bit useless when we are referring to bands like While Heaven Wept. The artistic level of this band’s music is so high that any attempt to trap their music on a simple term will be simply useless. “Vast Oceans Lachrymose” is released and now I got to sit down and turn into words all this river of feelings and emotions that flooded my entire existence when I heard this masterpiece. I will try.

First of all I must make it clear that this is the most powerful album the band has ever released. I will do no justice at all to if I mention the music trapped in here simply as Doom Metal. We can hear all the melancholy, the emotional ecstasy, the heaviness and the melody of Epic Doom Metal, we can hear complex and technical meanwhile memorable Progressive Metal parts blessed by this little sophisticated touch that someone can realize into Brave’s music. We can hear pure and straight into your face Metal musical parts carrying the tradition of the Classic Heavy Metal and the strength of US Power Metal, even some little Black Metal storms are waiting to overtake us. We can also hear those beloved acoustic parts that were so familiar to all the While Heaven Wept fans and finally we can hear the voice Rain Irving bringing new power and fresh melodic air into While Heaven Wept’s music.

The most important think of all is that all the new music found in this album still carries ALL the trademarks of While Heaven Wept. The characteristic guitar melodies of Tom Philips are here, the melancholic keyboards giving emphasis to some parts of this musical heaven are still here, the interludes and epilogues we all loved in While Heaven Wept are present and even in the more powerful and faster parts of the music there is still the wandering spirit of melancholy –that sometimes is turned to anger-. So for those who have expected to listen a different band the point is simple: Vast Oceans Lachrymose re presents While Heaven Wept in a more powerful and Progressive way meanwhile they are keeping ALL those features that made them one of the most favorite bands for many of us.

The album begins with “The Furthest Shore”, the song will overtake you by storm even by the first seconds with its pounding riffing and skull crushing guitar melodies, soon the keyboards and the guitar leads will remind you that you are still into While Heaven Wept world and the clean acoustic guitar melody to follow will make you feel safer than ever. Soon enough you will have the chance to hear Rain’s vocals for the first time and realize that they fit perfect upon the pounding riffing, keeping the classic While heaven Wept vocal melodies, “Desolate I have succumb to the seas of Sorrow” he sings making us to realize that his voice is something more than a “suitable one” for While Heaven Wept. A wonderful keyboard and guitar lead follows after the second chorus and then a storm by Power / Prog riffs and guitar melodies would come just before another vocal crescendo…. I am in real ecstasy…. The breaking in the middle of the song will make you hold your breath just to get some more strength because a new guitar and vocal storm is coming. Well it is a fact: While Heaven Wept have gone wild and a little sophisticated the same time... but wait a minute, I am catching myself to play some air guitar. This is the metal I like. The next acoustic melody soon to be covered by keyboards and one more guitar lead will make me close my eyes again… They are remaining closed as I am ready to dive in the next crescendo which is blessed by classic While Heaven Wept Doom riffing and some more beautiful leads... Well Rain got a WONDERFULL voice…. I am leaving my existence to wander in the sea of melodies as the song reaches its end (listen carefully the last three minutes, yes this is the musical magic of While Heaven Wept).

“To Wander The Void” begins with a mysterious introduction under a melodic theme, soon a little technical meanwhile catchy guitar break will guide you to the main riff: straight and strong and the vocals of Rain even more passionate. Basically this is the more “straight into the face” track of the whole album, pure inspired Steel with many Power Metal touches and some magnificent and mysterious Epic Doom Metal moments. The song’s epilogue hides some great melodies as well.

“Living Sepulchre” and “Vessel” are combined together creating an eleven minute long opus. The storm taking, pounding riffs of the beginning could even belong to a Black Metal band but the vocals of Rain and the guitar leads are here to bring all the melody that is needed, still enough power in here before the first acoustic calm. An enigmatic melody touched by another beautiful lead guitar theme will guide the listener to the next pounding riff played the While Heaven Wept way (this is Vessel’s first part). The chorus that follows is simply one of the most wonderful musical parts of the album; it is touched by heavenly melodies both in vocals and guitars. “Vessel” is one of the passionate tracks of the album, it carries a secret flame, it carries the strength of every new beginning, it carries that secret power of Faith… Have faith without fear, open your heart, breathe and believe…

The “Vast Oceans Lachrymose” song prepares us for the epilogue of the album (the two songs are also combined together). The song is nothing more and nothing less than an epic, melodic anthem, filled with music that only While Heaven Wept can create. The music speaks by itself in here and if you listen carefully you will hear the narration of the deepest, most mysterious and most wonderful story. I really enjoyed the small piano fillings in here. This song is with no doubt a piece of fine art.

The “Epilogue” drives us on the final calm through the musical waves of the While Heaven Wept sea. The journey is over but with a simple press of the play button it can start again…

Yes listener on the next listening you can pay more attention to the lyrical concept of the album. Follow the weeping heaven upon the sea waves of oceans unknown…

It is fact that the band has spent hundreds of hours in the production room. No one has told me anything about it but I paid attention to the crystal clear and heavy production of the album: a production that leaves enough space for the rhythm section (which is much more than important in the case of While Heaven Wept’s music because it is the heavy base that all the rest of the music is built upon). There is also a solid sound wall of heavier than ever rhythm guitars but there is still enough sound space for lead guitar themes and vocal melodies. For the matter of emphasis the keyboards –and the little symphonic parts- are there in total sound harmony with the rest of the instruments. “Vast Oceans Lachrymose” is for sure one of the best produced records I have heard lately.

“What the hell this album is made of?” Someone would ask after all? Well is made of the Epic Doom of Solitude Aeturnus in its slow and more pounding moments, the skull crushing Steel of Twisted Tower Dire, the ecstatic Prog musical moments of Pink Floyd, Rush and Brave, the apocalyptic Black Metal Of Arcturus with all its symphonic parts and the whole musical pantheon of While Heaven Wept past. It is made of faith and dedication, it is made of agony and sorrow, it made of a very special kind of emotional ecstasy and it is made of passion for Metal and Music in general.

Make your choices…

http://www.femforgacs.hu
Vast Oceans Lachrymose scored second position and score 8/10 in soundcheck (but no review)

http://www.metalreviews.com
89/100 by Alex
I don’t have the foggiest clue why While Heaven Wept takes so long in between their album releases. Perhaps it could have something to do with the oft-changing lineup. Members of While Heaven Wept, many of them reputable stars of Virginia heavy metal scene, double in Twisted Tower Dire, October 31 and Brave among others. Or, perhaps, the main man Tom Phillips can’t stand it to simply release some stale rehashed material, and to really push the boundaries every and each album it simply takes time.

Whatever the reason is While Heaven Wept did not waste their hiatus after one of my strong favorites of 2003 Of Empires Forlorn. Vast Oceans Lachrymose, the latest gem, showcases the band diversifying significantly, expanding well beyond the standard doom parameters in the areas both progressive and traditional.

The album certainly does not lack in the heaviness department. Living Sepulchre, done in the true classic fashion, leads off with Iron Maiden mid-pace gallop and accelerates to reach a periodic double bass crescendo. While Heaven Wept makes a great use of NWOBHM harmonies throughout Vast Oceans Lachrymose, one can hear practically early Jag Panzer before more oomph is added midway through To Wander the Void.

At the same time, with their passionate penetrating melodies and from the heart lyrics While Heaven Wept can make their epic progressive power doom personable, and that is the most important thing. Surely, the double bass/staccato patterns of the opener The Furthest Shore are complex, but it is this song’s triumphant spirit which beckons the most. The song unfolds as a life story. First, in the opening heavier part, one sets out to beat the odds of life. Later, when the will erodes and realization of hopelessness sets in, the music grows soft and tender. At first, I even heard the religious references and the Mass celebration overtones in The Furthest Shore unctuous melodies. However, upon reading the lyrics, I learned that religion had nothing to do with it and was even more impressed how While Heaven Wept managed to celebrate the trials of one lonesome person in the sea of world.

The band touches on this feeling several times throughout Vast Oceans Lachrymose. Demarkated from Living Sepulchre by an acoustic segment, Vessel builds up, only to ultimately dissolve, the soul coming to rest into the cathedral style chorus, euphoria floating by the bucket. A closing pair of the title track and Epilogue visits the ocean theme one more time (just like The Furthest Shore and earlier in Of Empires Forlorn). The title track does one hell of a Hosanna instrumental, with Epilogue bringing the proceedings to a logical close, with the funeral pyre sailing at peace to sea, like it was done among ancient Norsemen.

My understanding is that Rain Irving took over the lead vocals for Vast Oceans Lachrymose and his from-the-heaven high floating voice is a great fit for both the epic and ethereal angles this album presents. Whatever side of metal you were looking for, progressive melodic a la early Fates Warning, classic US Maryland/Virginia doom, or some epic power NWOBHM - you will find it here. Vast Oceans Lachrymose delivers an album from the band unencumbered with genre definitions, comfortable with who they are, playing from the depth of their soul.

Killing Songs : The Furthest Shore, Living Sepulchre, Vessel

http://surrealsoundz.blogspot.com
by Hand of Doom

Little can compare to the feeling of being truly leveled by the work of an artist, whatever the medium may be. The stroke of Vermeer's brush, the flow of a Gehry building, or even the seemingly simple written words that whip up an epic tale of rabbits fleeing to a hill in northern England: it's a wonderful experience, this personal mesmerization through art, and one of the added benefits of having it done by a piece of music is that you can carry this particular medium and enhance the pleasure of its twisting tendrils by experiencing it in an environment of your own choosing. Such was the case with my encounter with Vast Oceans Lachrymose. After I listened to this disc the first few times I knew I needed to go somewhere quiet and free of distractions. I walked out into the woods near my home and nestled upon a log where I had gone times before to think. And holy shit did that endeavor open the album's majesty to a new crowning achievement. Now, understand my point is obviously not that one need pack up for the closest shore or the quietest forest in order to cull this platter's full reward, but rather that when you come face-to-face with one of these seemingly rare beauties, you want to figure out means to enhance the experience to towering levels. That's precisely the type of album Virginia's While Heaven Wept have accomplished with Vast Oceans Lachrymose, their third full-length in two decades of existence.

So, what exactly is on the menu? Well, to put it simply, While Heaven Wept play epic doom with strong traditional and progressive metal leanings. You can clearly note the influence of sole founding member Tom Phillip's supplementary bands, Solstice and Twisted Tower Dire, but throw in healthy measures of Solitude Aeturnus and John Arch-era Fates Warning to better paint a true picture of what's in store. That essentially means you new-fangled metal fans out there with your heads in the screamy/posty numetal clouds should probably pass on by; this record isn't likely to blow your hair back. But if any of the above-mentioned bands are held close to your heart and you've not yet experienced this band, it's quite possible you'll soil your pants heavier than a baby that's just huffed down five helpings of mashed carrots & broccoli.

The perfect score, while admittedly directed within the stated sub-genre, is something I stand by whole-heartedly. The production is crisp and clear enough to draw out each player's necessary role, not just the expected guits/vox/drums. Past classics from the band's peers have occasionally skimped on bass, but such is not the case here. Jim Hunter (Lord Vicar, October 31, Revelation and Twisted Tower Dire) is clearly audible throughout the album and definitely adds another layer of heaviness to the surprisingly dense riffing dropped by Phillips and fellow axe-man, Scott Loose. In addition, the record's keyboard-play is folded in perfectly as backdrop atmospherics and only take a more prominent role when there's an added emphasis on upping the epic ante.

Songwriting strikes the bull's-eye due to the overwhelming amount of fluid tempo and mood shifts pouring from the speakers. There's pure pounding heaviness (37-seconds into opener "The Furthest Shore"....wow), loads of exquisite acoustics wrapped in doleful mellowness, stretches of knotty prog, and of course piles of sweeping, melodic grandeur immersed with outright epicness. And it all flows so smoothly from one measure to the next, revealing the sheer amount of work it must have taken to string all the pieces into the Vast Oceans Lachrymose whole. Ultimately, there's just too much going on throughout the album's relatively short length (a mere 42-minutes: my only criticism) for me to pinpoint highlights in one review. It's safe to say your emotions will run the gamut between galloping triumphantly to "looking out to sea with heavy heart" from the second the album starts to the moment it draws to a close.

Just looking at the sheer number of bands these folks have all played in over the past two decades should be sound evidence of While Heaven Wept's expertise in the musicianship category. But I'd be remiss if I didn't focus a little attention on the vocals provided by newcomer, Rain Irving. Before his entrance, Phillips filled the role, but eventually decided the band would best be served if his focus remained purely on six-stringing and providing background vocals: a wise move, as Irving's version of the higher register epic doom vocals puts a smidge more grit into the mix -- something I've always felt was missing from the band's previous full-length. Beyond the proggy feel of the music throughout Vast Oceans Lachrymose, it's Irving's vocals that also help bring to mind the Arch-era of Fates Warning mentioned earlier; the 1-minute mark of the excellent "To Wander the Void" is ample evidence of this. Rain certainly stands as the band's rookie of the year, and he truly shines during the emotive chorus that repeats throughout the wonderful "Vessel" that hits at the midpoint of the record.

It's a little embarrassing to gush on at such length about an album as I've obviously done here, but Vast Oceans Lachrymose does such a wonderful job of throwing down the perfect mix of undiluted emotion and crazy amounts of depth, I can't help but trumpet its worth from a mountaintop. In a word, I'd call the record Magnificent, with a capital "M" dropping shadow clear into the next county. It's a fantastic work of metal that's undoubtedly deserving of high accolades, and it just might turn out to be my album of the year.

Just on album cover alone I give this band high accolades. John Martin's (1789-1854) Christ Stilleth the Tempest commandingly augments the entire "epic package" delivered by this work, and it's something I hope to dive into at great length once the record eventually comes out on vinyl.

Pants soilingly bombastic and wholly recommended!

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=15077&lang=en
93/100 by Pim B.
Five years after the fantastic album ‘Of Empires Forlorn’ the new album, which was already mentioned quite a while ago, called ‘Vast Oceans Lachrymose’ by epic doom metal band While Heaven Wept finally sees the light of day. It was worth the wait. When this album was mentioned in the past it already was clear that the band around guitarist tom Philips would follow a somewhat different road. They even mentioned thrash metal.

Now I have heard the album I can tell that ‘Vast Oceans Lachrymose’ indeed shows a more versatile band that occasionally puts the pedal to the metal. Opening song ‘The Furthest Shore’, with a playing time of around fifteen minutes, shows all aspects that you will hear on this album. Fast progressive parts, tranquil acoustic passages, you name it. In fact you always should listen to a While Heaven Wept album as a complete work of art, as there is a logical synchronicity between all songs. ‘Vast Oceans Lachrymose’ is an album by a mature band that can sound both epic and heavy as well as majestic and fragile and that’s exactly the strength of While Heaven Wept. The music sounds genuine and you get sucked into the music that won’t let go easily. ‘Vast Oceans Lachrymose’ is a new chapter in While Heaven Wept’s history and sounds very recognisable despite the different approach, even with new vocalist Rain Irving. This is an album with class!

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=42317
5/5 by Nosferatwo
Summary: Stunning. Gorgeous. Perfect.
Vast Oceans Lachrymose is epic, both in name and in practice. While Heaven Wept is the unheralded champion of the epic doom metal founded by Candlemass, and in the years that the pioneers struggled to find their identity, the Americans took up the crown as the best purveyor of the brand of music. Candlemass has found their way again, and while they receive all of the attention, they did not regain the crown.

While Heaven Wept received critical acclaim for their previous album, Of Empires Forlorn, which only scratched the surface of what they were capable of. Bringing new singer Rain Irving into the fold has only raised the bar, letting each member contribute more of themselves, turning the whole into more than the sum of the parts. Irving is the only change in the band's sound, an unnecessary but welcome change from guitarist Tom Phillips' vocals on their previous work. Where Phillips brought the sound of epic metal to the band, Irving brings the sound to life. His warm tenor carries more nuance and emotion, letting the songs come to life, rather than merely singing.

But this album isn't about the vocals. Irving does a masterful job behind the mic, but While Heaven Wept is about the music, the masterful compositions that blend power and emotion in ways that few bands can. The fifteen minute opener "The Furthest Shore" is the band's greatest work, a swaying piece that can only be described as beautiful. Sorrow is the order of the day, somber guitar harmonies carrying the back half as they lull the listener into a blissful ease. Few can match the emotional impact, none can maintain it as well.

The rest of the album supports the epic opening statement, working to form a complete album. "To Wander The Void" picks up the pace, chugging through a thick riff before Irving and the band offer a tantric chorus of wordless harmony. It is memorable without being sappy, letting the power of the guitars control and dominate the song. "Vessel" is a song any band would kill to write, a serious slab of doom flavored metal coupled with a half-time chorus that will haunt listeners like the ghosts of dead classics. Even the closing pair, the title track and "Epilogue", are able to speak to the listener without utilizing a single vocal. The title track's guitars rival any put to tape, saying more about pain in each note than any album's worth of screaming could.

What the band has achieved with Vast Oceans Lachrymose is nothing short of amazing, an album that is powerful and delicate, uplifting and filled with sorrow, epic and still down to earth. The album is a testament to a band that plays by their own rules, making music that exists beyond the surface, speaking to anyone who puts in the effort to listen. Quite simply, Vast Oceans Lachrymose is perfect.