Versailles and Galneryus

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
What do you guys think about these two Japanese bands? I personally think they are awesome. I love Galneryus a little bit more than Versailles but both are really enjoyable for me. The latest album from Versailles called Jubilee came out this year and it's really epic stuff with lots of grand keyboards and speedy riffs galore. Of course the vocals are gonna turn some people off but if you can get past that you get amazing, bullet fast melodic speed/power metal to sink your teeth into.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne423XWtjf4&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
At first sight I thought that Bernie Versailles (Agent Steel) has joined Galneryus and I was like o_O

But it's the name of another japanese power metal band. :heh:

I have listened to Galneryus and I like them a lot, especially their "One For All - All For One" album.

Speaking of semi-androgynous Asian bands...check out The Trax from South Korea.

No, the drummer (Rose) is not a chick, but he missed a good chance:

(Stick with it for 35 seconds...it picks up after that)

Speaking of semi-androgynous Asian bands...check out The Trax from South Korea.

No, the drummer (Rose) is not a chick, but he missed a good chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDbfhW7xhA

(Stick with it for 35 seconds...it picks up after that)

Whoa! It's like a Korean metal boy band. I think I'm in love
love-smiley-015.gif

Can't believe I've never heard of them before! Thanks for the recommend!

Hahaha Yuuus, that'd be me! The Jrock luv runs deep with this one.

I love you guys!

Versailles > Galneryus but I'm extremely biased for several reasons.

G's new singer is really terrific, as mentioned in the other threads. Fire breath you're right that the vocals will turn most people off to Versailles. I tried pitching them to this board a few times over the last couple of years and it's always the same thing, "well the music is pretty cool, and that chick sure can shred that guitar, but the vocals kill it for me." :lol:

Here's an instrumental then:

Jubilee is truly a terrific album and that is not based on bias. Noble was tremendous as well but Jubilee is like Noble dialed to 11. The Princess single was pretty epic too, especially "Silent Knight." I love the DVD Château de Versailles, have you seen that yet? Could be one of my favorite live DVDs.

Do you also like Concerto Moon, Sex Machineguns, and Moi dix Mois?

Concerto Moon is OK but for me pales next to these two bands. Sex Machineguns is a funny band. they are a bit to raw and rough sounding, not that I don't like that style but of the Jap bands I prefer bands with finesse. I've never heard of Moi dix Mois. I haven't seen the dvd either, I am not as much a fan as you seem to be! lol!

what do you think of Dragon Guardian?

One Korean band I rather like is the band Jeremy. They are not theatrical the way some Japanese bands are; they are more of a traditional prog metal band, and they have a good sound. Their CDs aren't easily available in the US though.

No love for 陰陽座 (Onmyouza)?

Here's my favorite song.

They're amazingly tight live. Both vocalists are very strong and sharp, they seriously blew my expectations out of the water.

Sex Machineguns is also a fun show, I've seen them a bunch of times. Really loud, really heavy, really funny. It's the kind of show that's especially good after a drink or seven. Too bad the crowd is mostly sedate middle-age women who are in love with Anchang.

Concerto Moon is OK but for me pales next to these two bands. Sex Machineguns is a funny band. they are a bit to raw and rough sounding, not that I don't like that style but of the Jap bands I prefer bands with finesse. I've never heard of Moi dix Mois. I haven't seen the dvd either, I am not as much a fan as you seem to be! lol!

what do you think of Dragon Guardian?

Concerto Moon are pretty decent, but like you, they're not the top of my list either. Sex Machineguns are a constant source of pleasure for me. Never heard of Moi dix Mois? Well surely you know of Malice Mizer, yes? MdM is the "new" band of the Malice Mizer guitarist and visual kei guru fashionista Mana. Much like Malice Mizer were back in the day, MdM are more theatrical with a gothic and speed metal vibe rather than like Versailles.

Also what do you think of Area 51? I didn't know they have a new album as well. The samples on myspace sound good.

http://www.myspace.com/area51web

Never heard of them but they sound pretty cool. Thanks for the recommendation!

One Korean band I rather like is the band Jeremy. They are not theatrical the way some Japanese bands are; they are more of a traditional prog metal band, and they have a good sound. Their CDs aren't easily available in the US though.

I've heard this from other people too but haven't listened to the band yet. I'll snoop around and see if I can't find something of theirs. Thanks for the rec.

Holy mother of GOD! I was just browsing the agency I buy tickets from and it said Versailles O2 Islington Academy June 30th. I thought surely it's some msitake! This can't be THE Versailles can it??? Quick look on their myspace and yes they are listed as playing London. I'm amazed I never thought I would see a visual kei band live ever. I don't think many people in London have ever heard of them but maybe I'm totally wrong cause they've booked 800 capacity venue so they are expecting a fair sized crowd obviously. One sticking point though. THey are charging £22 plus add ons to get in!! Blimey I normally pay £15-£16 tops for that venue. £22 with add ons up to £25 is sorely testing my wallet's credentials! But for Versailles I will pay it. They better be fucking good though! :)

Holy mother of GOD! I was just browsing the agency I buy tickets from and it said Versailles O2 Islington Academy June 30th. I thought surely it's some msitake! This can't be THE Versailles can it??? Quick look on their myspace and yes they are listed as playing London. I'm amazed I never thought I would see a visual kei band live ever. I don't think many people in London have ever heard of them but maybe I'm totally wrong cause they've booked 800 capacity venue so they are expecting a fair sized crowd obviously. One sticking point though. THey are charging £22 plus add ons to get in!! Blimey I normally pay £15-£16 tops for that venue. £22 with add ons up to £25 is sorely testing my wallet's credentials! But for Versailles I will pay it. They better be fucking good though! :)

:lol: That's awesome! I *think* Versailles played a few shows in Europe last year but I can't remember for certain. I know abingdon boys school just got done touring there a few months back, less the visual kei band but jrock nonetheless. Not sure why there are added fees, but possibly to cover their costs if it doesn't sell out, which I would expect to come close. They're really great live, full of energy and grand stage presence as expected. Hizaki gets a lot of solo time during their lives, especially since the new stuff highlights his skills a lot more.

LUNA SEA are classics indeed! Terrific veterans of the scene. My favorite of theirs is the song "gravity." Beautiful melody in that one.

Some others I like along the rock/metal line are the slightly proggy Janne Da Arc. Yasu's voice is so unique and smooth, I'm glad he's still working on new material (see youtube sidebar for modern rock band Acid Black Cherry) despite JDA's hiatus/break-up.

Also, Abingdon Boys School is a really great hard rock band on the rise. The nerdy school boy look may turn some off, but just ignore it then ;-) There is a lot of veteran talent in this band, most notably the vocals and lead guitar.