Very cool Devin AUDIO interview

SpeakUSAorDie

Milano Mosher
Sep 5, 2001
MegadetH ArizonA
Sorry if previously posted. It seems like a very cool interview, it's just over 15 minutes long.
Interview located at http://www.2nurfm.com/intensity/inter/dt1.htm

Questions asked:

PART I
You are well known for your dislike of the music industry, how are you handling being distributed by a major record label (Roadrunner)?

When composing new music, do you decide that the concepts you are working on don't match any of the projects you are already in and start a new one, or does it work the other way: you decide to start a new project and match the concepts to that?

Are you becoming more singular and the music you are working on becoming more personal? We noticed that there was a lot more guitar work on Terria, is that because you are playing on your own more, or do you want to become involved with more people?

Which musical urge do you find stronger: the urge to write heavy metal or the softer gear like 'Terria'?

With 'Physicist' it seems like a there is a lot of happiness and hope in the music, where 'Terria' seems to be more about hopelessness with the aggression of Strapping Young Lad in a more mellow form. What is the reason behind this?

PART II
We noticed that on 'Terria' with tracks like 'Earth Day' and 'Fluke' there was an underlying message that people often take your music for more than it is. Are you trying to convey the message that "music, it's just entertainment folks"?

You've said that your musical projects tell the events or feelings you are having that year. I've noticed though, that tracks like 'Spirituality', 'Down Under' and the 'Om Demo' seem a little open ended, as if being left open for interpretation by the listener. Do these tracks have a meaning or do you leave them for the listener to explore the feelings themselves?

There seems to be a lot of dual meaning in your songs. For instance, the words "I'm alone" in 'Mountain' seems to be about the road trip you took to the mountains but also refers to your personality and the way you feel. Is this how you see it?

You've already got a pretty big repetoire of musical instruments that you play. Is there any particular instrument you'd like to learn to take your music in a new found direction? Do you think you'd make better music if you had a different way of expressing your emotions?

PART III
A listener wanted to know if you have taken any vocal influence from W.A.S.P.? Do you have any old school influences you want to mention?

You have mentioned John Denver a few times and I've noticed an increase of acoustic guitar in your latest cd's. Are you planning to release a country album, James Hetfield style?

Are there going to be any left over tracks from 'Terria' released like there was for 'Infinity'?

Have you thought about expressing your life in other forms, say dabble in a bit of painting or do a movie?