Very interesting invterview with Petrucci and Rudess

I never heard previously that the break Portnoy wanted to take was 5 years. Woah! I thought it was just a year or so. No wonder they said no.

I think they have done the right thing by the new guy, and that is excellent, but I also think that after this album/tour cycle, Mike Portnoy may be welcomed back. Guess time will tell

I think I originally read 3 years, they said they would compromise with 1 year and he said no, or something along those lines.

They really did the right thing by Mangini here, and after one album and tour cycle he will probably have made enough money and built his profile enough that having him leave to let Mike back in would work for everyone. Who knows though, they might really enjoy the new dynamic and keep him on. Or, the album might flop and they rush Mike back in. Who knows.

I hope they don't bring Portnoy back, regardless of how things are between them. I hate it when bands do that (and yes, I'm including Maiden there). Move on peeps!

Bit different in this case though, since the bloke was kinda the main man. It would be like Steve having a mid life crisis, leaving Maiden for five minutes and not being let back in. Kinda shit.

I side with the band on this one, but after the cycle I think they should entertain the idea of letting Mike back in.

Mike was only a drummer.
Who cares? It's like vegetable soup losing a pea, and then replacing it with a different pea.

I think it's more like Cadbury deciding to replace the Dairy Milk Chocolate on their Caramello Koalas with some imposter chocolate with 50% cocoa purely for the sake of trying to be that little bit more in-your-face. Maybe it will work... it might even be the start of something truly impressive. But it will never be a classic Caramello Koala, and anyone who knows better will find it leaves an undesirable aftertaste in their mouth every time they take a bite.

I dont think he wrote 50% of the bands material...
Cant see him showing Petrucci the riffs he wants him to play :)
He probably had a big hand in the arrangements and melodies and stuff, but
I wouldnt say he wrote 50% of the music.... Maybe co-wrote a chunk of it, but I'd say
Petrucci, Myung and Rudess have been the biggest song-writing force... with Portnoy suggesting
things after the riffs had been written etc.... dunno