Video interview Mikael

Forgive this post. I am half cut and could only make it through about 5 pages of this thread before I had to post so I may have missed some crucial stuff but oh well. All I'm going to say is that this may not have been the best circumstances for everything but holy fuck did the music turn out amazing in spite of it all.

Mike,

I'm not going to bombard you with random questions, i know you probably grow tired of answering them.

I am going to thank you for taking the time to reply to these, and other threads on the forum. Its a very refreshing since most musicians and/or stars would probably think "piss off" to a lot of these fans/questions. I can remember trying to get michael jordan's autograph at a charlotte bobcats (NBA) game, only to get ignored like i wasn't even there. Made me a bit upset.

The simple act of posting and being there for fan pictures/autographs makes me think you are definitely still in it for the fans. Its that reason that i continue to consider opeth to be musicians first, and rock stars last.

See you at the US tour this fall.
-Chip

I can absolutely see where Mikael is coming from. In my few music projects I'm the Mike figure and it can really tear you up inside... rejecting others ideas that is.

I'm kind of intrigued about what Peter wrote though.

Lol at Peterlindgren.

Hmm, come to think of it, that may be one of the best interviews I've ever seen. Mike sorta poured his heart out in this one.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7342162 said:
Yes, Peter wrote the whole guitar arrangement to those riffs, but I remember I played the leads to his 2nd riff. I agree they're great! That's why they're on there I suppose haha!

wow, i just now read this thread, is mike saying that peter wrote part of dirge for november? i just the other day watched the interview on faceculture where he talks about peter leaving the band and why, and the riff tape he gave to mike. but anyway he pretty much said how peter hadn't written much of anything since MAYH basically. mike, if you're reading, i fucking love dirge!! you guys should totally play it live. not that i'll get to see it unless y'all come to birmingham, alabama. lol

Excellent, Excellent interview! I won't rehash anything that has already been said so all I will say is:

Much respect to Mikael.

Mike, if you`re still around if wouldn`t mind you answering in detail how you compose the structure and layers of the music in your songs..
Do you get inspiration from an original guitar riff and then write around it or do you take several pieces of music that you`ve been working on and mold them together? Because it like with Opeth, the less expected thing, musically, occurs. Is that how you plan it out to be, or does it happen more spontaneously? Also, when you write the layers, do you record that original riff and write secondary tracks afterwards, or do you have it all in your head from the get-go, as well as drums and bass. And do you use any computer programs, or anything along the lines of guitar pro or power tabs.. also if I'm not mistaken are you using a Br-8? If so, that's awesome because so am I, haha.

Thanks for your time.