Video taped my band's concert!

ParsonsMatt

Alas, Tyranny
Nov 15, 2006
Athens, GA
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone!

If you're really bored and want to check out my band playing live, we've got some pretty decent video from our last show.

Here is a youtube playlist link: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfipegKhf3E&feature=PlayList&p=63563F99C896044B&index=0&playnext=1[/ame]

Otherwise, here are the embedded videos:

Soundcheck

Alas, Tyranny+Defiance

Let the War Begin

The Chains of Remembrance

Valhalla (Blind Guardian cover)

Servants of Liberty

The Memory Still Holds

Prometheus

Our new drummer performed REALLY damn well, and the whole band was extremely tight with him. Over all, probably the best performance I've ever been involved with... And we're only going to get better :hat

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by how you spoke to me the other day in my thread about jazzing up our live-show with video... I figured you'd be in a band that actually had some charisma.

Now I see you were just talking out your arse.

:lol: Kev! I didn't think that was still up anymore. It's way old and outdated.

Awesome, can't wait to see you guys live! As good as the album imo

Thanks! :)

Judging by how you spoke to me the other day in my thread about jazzing up our live-show with video... I figured you'd be in a band that actually had some charisma.

Now I see you were just talking out your arse.

Man, if you really got bent out of shape over "I would try to avoid gimmicks like that and work on simply providing a better stage show.", then you need to thicken your skin up a bit before you go gigging at all. I've seen a few local bands that try to "liven up" their stage show with things like videos, props, etc. but those things really only work if the show itself is already good without it. Otherwise they just come off as extremely cheesy and lame.

I'll be the first to admit that we need to work on our stage show, but my solution isn't to buy some gimmicks that don't actually add anything to the show... (except I do sort of want a fog machine or two :eek:) I'm doing exactly as I advised and working "on simply providing a better stage show."

If that's talking out of my ass, so be it! :lol:

I have one suggestion - please do NOT come out to a long intro that you have to make the sound guy play. My old band's singer insisted on it , and we all just stood there like idiots for like 3 mins while this stupid intro played. So pretentious , I'm amazed people didn't throw shit at us haha. On top of that , the other bands that have to play will get pissed for wasting time when they could be playing. I'd rather a band just come out , say their name and launch into a fast song within 5 seconds

I have one suggestion - please do NOT come out to a long intro that you have to make the sound guy play. My old band's singer insisted on it , and we all just stood there like idiots for like 3 mins while this stupid intro played. So pretentious , I'm amazed people didn't throw shit at us haha. On top of that , the other bands that have to play will get pissed for wasting time when they could be playing. I'd rather a band just come out , say their name and launch into a fast song within 5 seconds

Thanks! This was the last night for that intro, we'll be going into something a bit more appropriate from here on out.

:lol: Kev! I didn't think that was still up anymore. It's way old and outdated.

Thanks! :)

Man, if you really got bent out of shape over "I would try to avoid gimmicks like that and work on simply providing a better stage show.", then you need to thicken your skin up a bit before you go gigging at all. I've seen a few local bands that try to "liven up" their stage show with things like videos, props, etc. but those things really only work if the show itself is already good without it. Otherwise they just come off as extremely cheesy and lame.

I'll be the first to admit that we need to work on our stage show, but my solution isn't to buy some gimmicks that don't actually add anything to the show... (except I do sort of want a fog machine or two :eek:) I'm doing exactly as I advised and working "on simply providing a better stage show."

If that's talking out of my ass, so be it! :lol:

The problem is; you immediately dismiss it as a gimmick, without bothering to do any research on WHY you might want video at a gig. You just think its to cover up a shitty performance or shitty live show. Which is bullshit.

Are Tool gimmicky, or are they creating an experience?

I'm sorry.. but your attitude is very typical of this place; too concerned with having balls and bringing the br00talz to even stop to consider the artistry involved in metal and production.

The way I see it... there is mood and atmosphere... and then there is booze and shitty blast beats.

I'd think most bands and sound guys would know that the intro would be included in your predetermined set length, so you wouldn't/shouldn't be stepping on any other bands set lengths.

I don't mind intros if they are done right. Dimming the lights can go a long way from making the guys on stage look dumb if you don't have a lot of stuff to work with.

I highly doubt your band is the same level as tool, just sayin, and i agree with parsons,get a solid performance first before adding all the bells and whistles because the crowd will see all this flashy shit and think "oh this is gonna be an awesome show",but then the band lacks charisma and stage presence and they all walk out at the end feeling like they got ripped off and the effects were just put on stage to distract the crowd from the actual band.

I highly doubt your band is the same level as tool, just sayin, and i agree with parsons,get a solid performance first before adding all the bells and whistles because the crowd will see all this flashy shit and think "oh this is gonna be an awesome show",but then the band lacks charisma and stage presence and they all walk out at the end feeling like they got ripped off and the effects were just put on stage to distract the crowd from the actual band.

What are you talking about? I never said my band was the same level as Tool you stonehead. The trouble is... Parsons never said "get a solid performance first" ... he brushed off the idea of video as a gimmick.. and he did it with a very snide vibe behind his words.

The problem is; you immediately dismiss it as a gimmick, without bothering to do any research on WHY you might want video at a gig. You just think its to cover up a shitty performance or shitty live show. Which is bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CggI2wQXnvs

I'm sorry.. but your attitude is very typical of this place; too concerned with having balls and bringing the br00talz to even stop to consider the artistry involved in metal and production.

The way I see it... there is mood and atmosphere... and then there is booze and shitty blast beats.

link to your original thread and/or vids of your band without backing vids?

I don't think Matt was ripping you apart necessarily. IMO, doing something like what Tool is doing in that vid has the potential to look REALLY REALLY cheesy in a local band setting, and/or completely pretensious. To me, video screens like the Tool vid are light show accents...I've not seen or heard your band, so I'm not making disparaging comments. But without the total stage pcakage of killer lights, killer video screens, KILLER CONTENT to display on the screens, it's not going to be something to augment your initial live show.

And as far as stage presence goes, does Tool really have any? With that example, I think you could really make a case for Matt's original comments I suppose...Of course that's a crowd vid...But I don't even think I see any movement onstage at all, and the lights are barely there.

link to your original thread and/or vids of your band without backing vids?

I don't think Matt was ripping you apart necessarily. IMO, doing something like what Tool is doing in that vid has the potential to look REALLY REALLY cheesy in a local band setting, and/or completely pretensious. To me, video screens like the Tool vid are light show accents...I've not seen or heard your band, so I'm not making disparaging comments. But without the total stage pcakage of killer lights, killer video screens, KILLER CONTENT to display on the screens, it's not going to be something to augment your initial live show.

And as far as stage presence goes, does Tool really have any? With that example, I think you could really make a case for Matt's original comments I suppose...Of course that's a crowd vid...But I don't even think I see any movement onstage at all, and the lights are barely there.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/off-topic-tavern/559861-cheap-way-liven-up-gig-video.html

Maybe I just took Matt's comment with not enough salt, I dunno. At any rate, I think I essentially agree with you.

I think at the end of the day, for someone to just burst into a thread like he did and make a stupid comment without any thought behind it.. it just brushed me up the wrong way. So I decided to do the same thing! :lol:

Tool don't really have any stage presence. They let the music speak for itself; which imo, is the better approach. In my humble opinion, choreographing your moves in the practice room is... well... pretty weak.

If you have to be in a rehearsal room, going over your head movements, throwing yourself around... stopping the song half-way through because James the bassist didn't throw his "horns" into the air... something aint right with that.

I say: Let the vibe of the venue move you. Sink into the music, sink into the crowd.. follow their vibe... and it will be a much more rewarding experience for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dFZKJPRM-A

I say: Let the vibe of the venue move you. Sink into the music, sink into the crowd.. follow their vibe... and it will be a much more rewarding experience for everyone.

+1000000 to that,i wasnt saying go into the practice room and choreograph it... it should all come "naturally"

Edit: On another note after watching the vid, something that will make the performance better- SING:heh:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/off-topic-tavern/559861-cheap-way-liven-up-gig-video.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dFZKJPRM-A

Maybe I just took Matt's comment with not enough salt, I dunno. At any rate, I think I essentially agree with you.

I think at the end of the day, for someone to just burst into a thread like he did and make a stupid comment without any thought behind it.. it just brushed me up the wrong way. So I decided to do the same thing! :lol:

Tool don't really have any stage presence. They let the music speak for itself; which imo, is the better approach. In my humble opinion, choreographing your moves in the practice room is... well... pretty weak.

If you have to be in a rehearsal room, going over your head movements, throwing yourself around... stopping the song half-way through because James the bassist didn't throw his "horns" into the air... something aint right with that.

After seeing your band, I kinda don't see much of a problem. IMO that kind of music creates the vibe the band exhibits, so while one from a "metal standpoint" can say there isn't much there, someone in your shoes IMO can take easy potshots against those who are into heavier stuff simply as a knee jerk reaction because your band isn't metal (IMHO)...

After seeing your band, I kinda don't see much of a problem. IMO that kind of music creates the vibe the band exhibits, so while one from a "metal standpoint" can say there isn't much there, someone in your shoes IMO can take easy potshots against those who are into heavier stuff simply as a knee jerk reaction because your band isn't metal (IMHO)...

It isn't *ALL* metal, no. But there are definite metal aesthetics that we all share.

Nate really answered it perfectly; "But without the total stage pcakage of killer lights, killer video screens, KILLER CONTENT to display on the screens, it's not going to be something to augment your initial live show." In the context of "cheap", video is going to be an awfully cheesy thing to do/have.

Gimmicky, pretentious, shitty... I really hate Tool though, so don't take it too personally :loco:

Now, I can imagine one aspect where video would be cool, and that is if you've got a concept album going on with the video illustrating the lyrics synced up to the music -- THAT would be awesome. But again, that's not going to be cheap, to do that well it'd be exorbitant.

You obviously haven't really listened to my music :idk: I definitely understand the artistry involved in metal, and as a matter of fact my music is definitely more on the artistic side than the "br00talz/ballsy" side.

What are you talking about? I never said my band was the same level as Tool you stonehead. The trouble is... Parsons never said "get a solid performance first" ... he brushed off the idea of video as a gimmick.. and he did it with a very snide vibe behind his words.

My apologies if you took it as a snide remark -- it was just my advice and personal thought on the matter. Especially since you qualified it with cheap, and video is probably one of the more expensive things. And as a matter of fact, I'll go post some cheap ideas that may really help your stage show. Maybe we'll be even then :p

Why do you assume that? Truth be told, I actually did think about whether or not video would be a good idea given the sort of budget you specified, and decided it probably wouldn't be, at which point I made the recommendation I did.

I totally agree! Choreographing stage moves is pretty lame. But... who said I, or my band, does that? We do just like you said... let the music happen, get into it, and enjoy it. The crowd then follows. Trust me, if I were intent on choreographing our stage moves, we'd be all together a lot more often :lol: