Vildhjarta - "måsstaden" (NEW album streaming now!)

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Vildhjarta - måsstaden.

Streaming now here: http://www.guitarworld.com/exclusive-vildhjarta-streaming-new-album-m-sstaden

My initial impressions:
While I'm not a huge fan of the "djent" movement and all of the subsequent copycat bands, this album kicks ass! The only thing that gets monotonous is the so obvious overused axe-fx guitar tone and how loud the guitars are in the mix. It just screams fake tube chime all over the place.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying the songwriting. I'm hearing lots of influences like Tesseract, Meshuggah (obviously), Mnemic, Threat Signal, etc. I REALLY hope they include an instrumental-only version like Periphery did with their release. I really love "traces" as an instrumental, and prefer the original, but I get that they had to rearrange it a bit for vocals to fit on top.

Vocally, I love Vilhelm and Daniel's vocals! They did a stellar job!

Overall, I really like it, and definitely planning on buying!

Not that they are trying to compare themselves, but Periphery definitely have their work cut out for them if they plan on releasing something better than this or Tesseract's "One" album, especially if they intend on keeping Spencer on vox. :lol:

Horrible guitar tone (it seems recorded in a can) and I can't stand all this djent productions....they are so overcompressed and the result is that the sound becomes fuckin' thin (expecially this drum sound)

Horrible guitar tone (it seems recorded in a can) and I can't stand all this djent productions....they are so overcompressed and the result is that the sound becomes fuckin' thin (expecially this drum sound)

I'm listening on crappy headphones, so I was going to hold my thoughts on the actual mix until later when I can get home and listen to it on a better source, but I was thinking the same thing initially. It definitely sounds better than their earlier demos and a big improvement from his old POD recordings, but yeah the tone is a bit grating on the ears and the mix is rather squashed.

Mix critiques aside, I really dig this band. That's coming from someone who doesn't vibe on the Djent style much, too, aside from maybe Monuments and a couple others. Cool writing and interesting atmospheres painted. Good on 'em.

Awesome band, I've been playing the EP for a while now and haven't listened to this yet but I will in a bit. Guitars are Pod btw.

Got my copy today. Awesome album. Guitars are definitely big bottom. The Low F sounds ridiculously massive, thall all the way!