Vile - Chaotic Blackened Death

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
[IMGLEFT]http://www.russell.ultimatemetal.com/Interview/vile4.jpg[/IMGLEFT]By MetalChris

Today it is my opportunity to talk to Colin Davis of the mighty Vile, easily one of the best death metal bands out there today. This California band has made quite an impact on the United States Death metal scene and seem poised to take it to the next level with their new CD The New Age of Chaos. Where their first two releases were more straight-out technical DM, the new album adds black metal atmosphere to the mix, creating a blackened death metal classic. I recently had the chance to try and get inside the mind of Colin Davis, and try to find out what is going on in the Vile camp.

First off, thank you for taking the time out to do this interview. You have a brand new release out called The New Age Of Chaos. How has the reception been so far?

So far it has been really fantastic. People seem to be liking the direction we’re going in.

You have had lineup problems in the past. Can you tell us who is in the band now, and what each member brings to the band?

Yes with this music, it’s hard to find guys that are willing to do all the work for so little money. Right now its me, Mike Hrubovcak on vocals, J.J. Hrubovcak on lead guitars, Erlend Caspersen on bass for Europe and Jeff Hughell on bass for US. Then there are two drummers I work with as well. Reno Kiilerich and Marco Pitruzella. Some guys have different availability so there may be a change of bassist or drummer here and there but I’m hoping the other guys stick around. This year we’re doing a lot more touring and we'll see how things go.

vile2.jpg

I interviewed you a couple years back and you mentioned the next disc would have more of a black metal influence to it. How would you compare the sound of your new work to Depopulate and Stench of the Deceased. Who are the main death metal influences of the band and which black metal bands have influenced you?

It’s hard to say. I had been listening to Behemoth, Thelema 6, the last 2 Dimmu Borgir albums, Marduk and Mutant. But really since I record and master death metal for a living, I don’t listen to a lot of it at home. This new stuff is kind of just what I wanted to hear in my own head. I look at it like I was a fan and I try to write what I would want to hear.

Death metal seems to be booming again with so many new bands coming out. What are your thoughts on the current scene in the states? Who are some of your favorite new bands?

I don’t have many. There are tons of new bands because now its so easy to record and release an album. But I’m finding very little out there that is inspiring. I just discovered Augary from Canada though. That’s cool stuff.

vile1.jpg

What are your thoughts on Myspace? Do you see it as a great promotional tool? Everyone and everybody is on there now, so do you think it has the potential to help artists reach new fans and increase CD sales?

We'll see how it goes. It is a really cool thing though. It can’t hurt.

Are you planning to tour to promote the new CD? I saw you open for Cannibal Corpse a couple years back in St. Louis, along with Hypocrisy and Exhumed. Any chance of you guys getting on a great package tour like that again? That was an awesome night of metal.

I would love to tour with Cannibal again. There’s politics with those big tours usually though. We'll be in Europe in March with Deeds Of Flesh, Impaled and Monstrosity. We'll also tour US and Europe again later in the year. Not sure what those line-ups will be now. We will be doing more touring these days though.

vile3.jpg

Has Vile ever played overseas? Do you have a strong fan base overseas?

We’re more popular in Europe than we are in the US, we’re on a French label over there called Listenable records. This tour coming up will be our second time there. Well go again at the end of the year.

Thanks a lot for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do this interview. Any final words for the UM readership, such as where to pick up merchandise, and other vital information?

Its my pleasure! You can get stuff from me, visit our website, or our label’s.

Official Vile website
Official Unique Leader website
Official Listenable website

They're alright and I downloaded their most recent album, but I still don't hear the "black metal influence" in the music....I can hear an obvious bm influence in bands like Belphegor but not Vile. Can someone explain?