Vinyl fans/freaks

Nehebkau

Sep 17, 2006
So I've just received my first ever Vinyl, and I'm looking at some options as to what to do with it? I don't want it sitting around on a shelf. I was thinking of framing it, as it is one of my favourite albums (Amorphis - Silent Waters).

Have you done anything? Or got a suggestion? Cheers!

Try listening to it.

Seriously, buying records just for display is silly. If you're not going to listen to it, buy a poster for your wall instead.

Oh I intend to listen to it ;) But I'm rather clumsy and if they scratch or fuck up and are rendered useless I want to display them instead of chucking them out

Heat it up and pull all of the edges up and turn it into a tr00 and gr1m fruit bowl. Then get the cover and fashion it into a tr00 and gr1m jaunty hat that you can wear to dinner parties as a conversation starter.

Oh I intend to listen to it ;) But I'm rather clumsy and if they scratch or fuck up and are rendered useless I want to display them instead of chucking them out

All you need to do is use common sense and there should be no reason for them to get messed up. There are some really simple and effective ways of protecting your records. Check out this article.

Yeah, at first it may take a while to getting used to how to take care of them, but after a while, you will get used to it.

I don't have any but it is tempting when you see stuff that would be a £12 limited pressing on CD go for a couple of quid for the original pressing on ebay.

You can just store records in milk crates as long as you place something firm at the back of the crate so that it doesn't cause a crease. Otherwise, like everyone else said, just use common sense. Be careful with it, but don't become one of those insane people who wash their hands and put on latex gloves every time they handle an LP.

Honestly, LPs are like big CDs that deserve slightly more care because they are more heat sensitive. Try to touch the playing surface as little as possible, handle by the very outer edge and the printed center section if you can help it. I've never had a problem with slight fingerprints from accidentally or carelessly handling the playing surface cause any big problem in playback.

I do have some albums framed, you can get interchangeable record frames for pretty cheap at a local arts/crafts kind of store. When I want to listen to one I just take it out of the frame and spin it, then put it back. Good stuff, just livens the room up a little, lets me put something up other than big rectangle posters.