Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic
2002 - The End Records
By Mark Bridgeman

On first hearing Virgin Black's Sombre Romantic, I was unsure exactly what to make of it. Unlike most albums I get sent, this one didn't come screaming out of the speakers as soon as the CD drawer closed. Opening with some low-key chanting and the acoustic, cello-driven intro of 'Opera De Romanci' ('i. Stare'), it sounds more like a soundtrack for a European goth-horror movie. Atmospheric would definitely be the most fitting description, and its effect is encapturing without pummeling your eardrums - a nice change.

Only when 'Stare' falls into part ii. of 'Opera De Romanci' ('Embrace') do we hear the first heavy sounds (solid guitar power chords) reminding us that they actually do plan to rock out.

'Walk Without Limbs', with its electronic-esque rhythms, continues the dark atmosphere, with its whispered title refrain (entwined with the latin line 'shei masa fum de ma' - 'Manifest of the Spirit') making one wonder whether Virgin Black are pompous goths, or genuinely interested in maintaining a particular feel. Which of these is the case is dependent on your view of music that doesn't fit the Metal cliches. For this reviewer, I can only be impressed with what is a nice change from the norm.

Casual listeners perhaps should be warned that this is not a metal album, although elements of metal are indeed in place. With the ever-present piano, and voxman Rowan London's theatrical vocals, listeners who prefer head-down, hair-akimbo death grinds will be disappointed although there are moments, such as 'Drink The Midnight Hymn' with its growling vocals, where they may find interest.

Sombre Romantic is a grand piece of work. Virgin Black have produced an album that is utterly complete - its dark mood carries through on all the tracks, the performances (particularly Samantha Escarbe's lead guitar work, and the choir and cello arrangements) meshed and impeccable (to the point where only when paying attention do you realise this is a group of musicians, not one entity).

A unique release from The End Records, and Virgin Black should be proud that they've produced such an engaging piece of work.

5/5

LOL - fair enough.. here's the translations then ;
Ab hoc vinere domum tuum - I can see your house from here.
Veni, vermini, vomitari - I came, I got ratted, I threw up.
Acquiris quodcumque rapid - You get what you grab.
Morituri nolomnus mori - We who are about to die, don't want to.
:)