__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Virgin Snatch – Act Of Grace
Mystic Productions – 2008
By Ryan M

VS.jpg

The average person would scoff at a name like Virgin Snatch, and unfortunately for them, they have. There's really no doubt that their 'offensive' name scars their reputation, and leaves many missing out on their unique approach to modern and new age thrash alike. With three previous releases under their belt, S.U.C.K, The Art of Lying, and In The Name Of Blood, the band has proved that they are amongst the better thrash groups this millennium has to offer. Act Of Grace does nothing but solidify that belief, and prove to skeptics that, once you learn to look past the name, this Polish quintet has something unique and fresh to bring to the table.

The album picks up where its predecessor left off; intense rhythmic guitar work, with beautiful melodies delivered by either the lead guitar, or Zielony's improved clean vocals. To those who are unfamiliar with Virgin Snatch , they incorporate powerful, and heavy guitar work with complimentary drum work and bass lines. The vocals comprise melodic hooks alternating with a harsh snarl. The production and mixing is just what one would hope for – flawless; vocals are loud enough to not be drowned out in the mix, but not overpowering. The tone of the drums feels like taking a jackhammer to the chest, and the guitars also sound great.

At first glance, this release has little more to offer than its predecessor, and
granted it does share some shocking similarities to the release before it, but that's merely the band continuing with their unique style. But, unlike many bands who tend to conform strictly to a genre then grow old and predictable, VS have learnt to utilize a clever approach to a classic genre without growing stale. There are also numerous developments from the band’s last album especially in Zielony's stronger clean vocals, and lyrics that don't reek of broken English and lack depth. Of course, a Polish accent would be expected, but it is far less prominent here than in past releases. Beyond this there is more diversity present in the new album, with the mellow track ’It's Time’. The band’s previous mellower songs suffer from poorly written lyrics - while the instrumentation and concepts were powerful and thought-provoking, they didn't always hit home quite like one would expect. But here the vocal delivery is much stronger, the instrumentation more powerful, and the lyrics are intelligently strung together. Any doubts that this band doesn't deserve recognition are left in the dust.

Act Of Grace is far from a formulaic release; it is a giant step forward for Virgin Snatch towards a more defined and captivating sound, and it is the best release of 2008 that I have heard. I had high hopes, and I can now say this album not only met my expectations, but it surpassed them by a landslide. If you are a fan of melodic, and technical thrash metal, I recommend you check out this album. You will not be disappointed.

Official Virgin Snatch website
Official Virgin Snatch myspace
Official Mystic Productions webpage