Virgin Steele - Noble Savage Reissue

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
This is a 2 disk set from SPV and is a worthwhile re-release. First of all the sound is much better. A little sharper and cleaner. The original which I also have has quite bad production but I guess for that time it was acceptable. Actually come to think of it I have 2 versions before. I have the original album and then a re-release with about 5 bonus tracks. This release is the re-relase album plus a bonus album with unreleased tracks. 29 tracks all told. First of all the album is really cool but the songs are always hit and miss with me. The overly glam elements are still present and the epicness which they would go on to adopt on later album is not prevalent in every song. Still the album features some of my fave VS tunes of all time such as We Rule The Night, Noble Savage and the Angel of Light. The other songs are cool as well but not as good as these three especially the title track which is a monument of classic VS and features some of David's best ever vocals IMO

Anyway a little about the bonus disk. The first 5 songs are original studio songs from VS. The sound is more up to date than on the album which either means they were written at a later time or were written at the time but not recorded until much later. David's voice also sounds more like it does now than on Noble Savage, ie not as powerful as good. In fact it's a shame what has happened to David's voice over time. He still has an amazing falsetto and great control but his mid range aggression is completely shot to pieces nowadays. Any how the unreleased songs are quite fun but nothing that special but cool to hear new VS songs anyway. What I like are the songs that follow which are live pre-production takes of some of the songs on the Noble Savage album. They sound way cool and raw but clear enough and David's vocal power is shown to great effect. There are also a couple of remixes of songs from the album including a very mighty early rough mix of Noble savage the track which again whilst unpolished still sounds excellent to me. This album is not essential but if you are a long term VS fan or you don't even own the album at all then it's really good value. I already own 2 version of the disk though! Here is one of the unreleased songs. It's nothing special but the solo in it is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if he could, David Defeiss would live in a house made entirely out of swords.