Virgin Steele

Metal 99

Sep 15, 2006
I know the progpower for this year is long over with. And i know alot didn't like Virgin Steele and it was a strange set and no Keys or Bass being played that i can remember i really didn't understand that. but my point is i picked up a cd of them from 1998 called Invictus and its quite good not perfect but the last song on it they done live at progpower was Veni,Vidi,Vici and i enjoyed that song Live and its good on the cd. Its hard to believe that band has been out since 1983. Not really knowing who they were until that night they were interesting to say the least i guess. I know alot said they were the worst band at PP, My friend loved them.. i won't go that far but the Invictus cd is like i said pretty good. to me they reminded me a little of Manowar. Whats ya'lls thought on Virgin Steele other then what i've already heard LOL. No one hardly beat Pagan's Mind cause thats why i came!....:headbang:

I'm glad their performance brought them at least one new fan. They're one of my favorite American power metal bands.

I'm glad their performance brought them at least one new fan. They're one of my favorite American power metal bands.

Yeah that show was only my friends 4th show ever, so he loved all of that weekend, and so did i and i have saw lots of show it was a excellent PP, hope next years can equal it or top it.:headbang:

I know the progpower for this year is long over with. And i know alot didn't like Virgin Steele and it was a strange set and no Keys or Bass being played that i can remember i really didn't understand that. but my point is i picked up a cd of them from 1998 called Invictus and its quite good not perfect but the last song on it they done live at progpower was Veni,Vidi,Vici and i enjoyed that song Live and its good on the cd. Its hard to believe that band has been out since 1983. Not really knowing who they were until that night they were interesting to say the least i guess. I know alot said they were the worst band at PP, My friend loved them.. i won't go that far but the Invictus cd is like i said pretty good. to me they reminded me a little of Manowar. Whats ya'lls thought on Virgin Steele other then what i've already heard LOL. No one hardly beat Pagan's Mind cause thats why i came!....:headbang:

A couple of others you may like...

House of Atreus, Act 1 (More developed and polished than Invictus)
Marriage of Heaven and Hell, Part I (more straightforward, classic metal)
Visions of Eden (their most wide-ranging, atmospheric, and epic disc, IMO)

... it was a strange set and no Keys or Bass being played that i can remember i really didn't understand that.

It was strange to some, but all the musicians who played and recorded Visions of Eden were on the stage at ProgPower, so it wasn't like a band member was missing. The four guys pictured in the Visions of Eden CD jacket are the four guys who played that night.

Virgin Steele is one of the most underrated US power metal bands, IMO. I'm really glad they got to be more exposed through the ProgPower fest. It was a shame seeing them back in 2002 at Lamours playing to only a handful of people, but they played their asses off still. To me Virgin Steele was always like a more symphonic and technical Manowar, but with such a great lyricist. To the guy who just got into Virgin Steele: Invictus was the best possible way for you to start man..that album is one of the best metal albums of all time. If I were you I would wait for the newly remastered versions of Noble Savage and Age of Consent that are coming out in January. To me I feel those albums combine Virgin Steele's sound the best, a nice combo of beauty and power.

Virgin Steele is one of the most underrated US power metal bands, IMO. I'm really glad they got to be more exposed through the ProgPower fest. It was a shame seeing them back in 2002 at Lamours playing to only a handful of people, but they played their asses off still. To me Virgin Steele was always like a more symphonic and technical Manowar, but with such a great lyricist. To the guy who just got into Virgin Steele: Invictus was the best possible way for you to start man..that album is one of the best metal albums of all time. If I were you I would wait for the newly remastered versions of Noble Savage and Age of Consent that are coming out in January. To me I feel those albums combine Virgin Steele's sound the best, a nice combo of beauty and power.

Yeah man me and my friend both like Invictus..I'm getting into it more and more plus the newest one too and the song Veni, Vidi, Vici, off of Invictus is what turned us on to them hearing it at PP. Its hard to believe like i said they have been out so long! :headbang:

i have Virgin Steel LP'S from the early 80s, as well as all of the bands cd's. They are in my top 10 favorite metal bands of all time. Thanks again to Glen for brining them to the show.

Visions of Eden is only available as import. no domestic release date yet (if ever).
i bought it a year ago from Exploding Ned. $15.00 on the VS website
i had been waiting years to see Virgin Steele live...loved them!