Virtual surround or Dolby Pro Logic?

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
What do you lot think?

Three months after buying my new stereo, I'm still mucking about with the sound settings trying to get them right. Virtual surround is definitely the right choice for TV, videos etc, but I'm leaning towards Dolby Pro Logic for music, because it has more bass and uses the centre speaker.

Opinions please?

W

I use virtual on mine, Dolby doesnt sound as good, you have to have it up REALLY loud to get the full effect. Virtual sounds better to me :)

I'm with Koich. Although that could be because I don't have either. And only one speaker works on my stereo. That's why I like Adrian best. Doesn't sound like Dave plays squat :)

I'm running a 1974 pioneer amp from my computer with a discman hooked up to the amp as well. I have also have two extremely old speakers that make a huge sweet spot. Surround is for girls.

old shit rules.

Ive got a humungajunga tv and a surround sound thing thats really loud when you turn it up, plus it has lots of little lights all over it so im presuming its all technical and good.
So everyone can come over and watch the Rock In Rio dvd at my place when it comes out :D

I dont have any beer though.

I only use Pro Logic for shows that have it, e.g. the Simpsons... Different Amps have different settings, quite often I use the TV as a Centre speaker, if you turn the BASS down (why on earth you would want to do that?) it can act as a centre. Besides you don't get true channel seperation unless you go 5.1...

Sigh.. I just read what i wrote... I so need a life..

Ive found that virtual surround sound is way better for music than dolby, some of the frequencies get lost when you only go through dolby, unless you fiddle with the volume of each individual speaker, and thats a pain in the ass, so go virtual, its the way of the future. Probably.