5150 - Speakers and Settings Test

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
I didn't have any homework today :)rock: ), so I decided to do a test and see which speaker sounds the best in it - huge difference! I also decided to test out some different settings while I was doing this, just for reference.

http://witheringaway.googlepages.com/Speakerstest.zip

1-3 = Top Left
4-6 = Top Right
7 = Bottom Left
8 = Bottom Right

Because I used different settings for the top two (which sounded the best), the setting is in clips 2, 5, 7, and 8.

I'm leaning towards the top right speaker, I'll have to test it out some more when DFHS gets running on Intels, and then I'll actually be able to test it in a mix.

The settings vary between 1-3 and 4-6... 1 uses the same setting as 4, 2 = 5, and 3 = 6. The three I used were Andy's from the ilovemetal.co.uk site, a set I got from Ken Sorceron (Abigail Williams), and a set I got from egan. (Daylight Dies settings) - see if you can guess which is which! Kinda lame, I know, but I'm bored.

Didn't seem to work, here's the error I got...

! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create folder Speakers:Settings Test
The directory name is invalid.
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create Speakers:Settings Test\.DS_Store
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create folder __MACOSX\Speakers:Settings Test
The directory name is invalid.
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create __MACOSX\Speakers:Settings Test\._.DS_Store
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create Speakers:Settings Test\1.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create __MACOSX\Speakers:Settings Test\._1.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create Speakers:Settings Test\2.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create __MACOSX\Speakers:Settings Test\._2.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create Speakers:Settings Test\3.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create __MACOSX\Speakers:Settings Test\._3.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create Speakers:Settings Test\4.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create __MACOSX\Speakers:Settings Test\._4.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create Speakers:Settings Test\5.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create __MACOSX\Speakers:Settings Test\._5.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create Speakers:Settings Test\6.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create __MACOSX\Speakers:Settings Test\._6.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create Speakers:Settings Test\7.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create __MACOSX\Speakers:Settings Test\._7.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create Speakers:Settings Test\8.mp3
! C:\Documents and Settings\Norsk\Desktop\Speakerstest.zip: Cannot create __MACOSX\Speakers:Settings Test\._8.mp3

These do sound pretty cool, a bit more gain than I would use... but then again I hate gain. If I had the time to goof around with all *two* of the speakers I have at my disposal and various positions I'd try stuff like this out more.

Jeff

Cool! the difference is huge! A bit like you an other artist in the CD player! All miced the same way, right?! The difference between the speaker is much bigger than between the settings!

Nice one DSS3. Pretty interesting listening to all 8 different settings and position. I would say 7 is my favourite. Thought it had the most clarity and didnt sound as dark as the rest of them.

Should give this ago with my Powerball when i get a chance....which will be never considering im going to uni in about a week!

Got sick of these (sounding kind of phasey and meh), so I tried out some other settings/mic placement today... not even sure if I like these new ones:

http://www.*************/files/room38/1070681/5150 LB 2.mp3
http://www.*************/files/room38/1070681/5150 LB.mp3
http://www.*************/files/room38/1070681/5150 LB3.mp3

TBH I'm getting a bit sick of the 707 - it seems to woof/honk up the low mids and suck the highs out. The 81 sounds far better recorded from what I've heard, so I'm going to snag one to stick in the bridge when I find one used for sale.

I've actually moved it out of my closet and into my bands old rehearsal space, because I realized the amp being so loud was shaking the floor (2nd story, not too sturdy, new floor is a concrete slab), so the mic was shaking, and the results weren't so great. Also, the fact that it was in a 2x3ft closet doesn't help.

TBH - I'm not that interested in making impulses, simply because I wouldn't use them at all. Sorry!