ADAM D 5150 settings

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, just got the last Killswitch Engage album for Xmas, listened to it a few times and it's cool, a bit poppy but cool anyway. Sounds strange sometimes because of the fizzy guitars and some clipping, the drums are a bit loud too, but I dig the overall thing.
There's a DVD with the CD and there's a video clip with ADAM D playing through a Mesa Recto amp and a 5150, and the settings on this last one are not usual ! I'm at work right now but will post the settings soon. Those were something like bass 9, mids 4, treble 5, resonance 7, presence 5...

yup, those settings sound about right from what there were pictures of the amps while they were in the studio. Very similar eq to what I have going on on my 5150. It doesn't sounds too hot in person, very mid heavy, pretty dark sounding, but mic'd up its a whole other sounding beast.

nah, on the üics it was Bass: max, Mids:4, Treb: 7 Reso: max, Pres:5

I used similar settings (coincidence) on a recording I once did ( http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...s/518646-crabcore-screamo-br00thulz-11-a.html ).
but besides the fact that (and we all know that, don't we) the settings will only work perfectly with his cab, playing, guitar, room, micpos etc they didn't even use the 5150 on the album, did they?

I don't think they did.... and maybe they should have. Their last two albums sound nowhere near as good as The End of Heartache. Actually, the Parkway Drive albums Adam D did sound better than Killswitch's own recent stuff.

Parkway sounds more balanced to me, everything in its own place, the last Killswitch stuff has something strange balance wise, but sounds good anyway.
Last Killswitch sounds like a Framus Cobra (or Mesa Recto maybe ?)

Yeah Horizon rules, it's funny because my band opened for Parkway Drive here in France in 2006 during the "Killing With A Smile tour", and they said Adam D used a Framus Cobra and a 5150 on their first album, but they didn't like the Framus at all for touring (they rented two Cobras on this tour), so they played on our gear (5150 / Powerball).
On Horizons it's Framus only though.

I had this info coming straightly from Zing Studios about "Killing With A Smile" :

Adam used the Neve 1058 mic pre/eq's on the Parkway Drive guitars. 5150 and Framus Cobra amps, SM57.
There were some JCM800 for leads too.

Yeah Horizon rules, it's funny because my band opened for Parkway Drive here in France in 2006 during the "Killing With A Smile tour", and they said Adam D used a Framus Cobra and a 5150 on their first album, but they didn't like the Framus at all for touring (they rented two Cobras on this tour), so they played on our gear (5150 / Powerball).
On Horizons it's Framus only though.

I had this info coming straightly from Zing Studios about "Killing With A Smile" :

Adam used the Neve 1058 mic pre/eq's on the Parkway Drive guitars. 5150 and Framus Cobra amps, SM57.
There were some JCM800 for leads too.

I'd love to know more, the guitar sound on this record is fucking ace