Reviewer
Jun 20, 2004
London
www.geocities.com
Vision Divine – Stream of Consciousness
Metal Blade – 3984-14490-2 – 04.05.04
By Anna Novitzky

vision.jpg

I’m wearing a corset today. I must be light-headed from lack of oxygen. That’s the only explanation I can think of for the disturbing fact that I rather like this album, and I’ve got no idea why.

It’s the little things that make Stream of Consciousness stand that tiny bit above the crowd. There’s nothing obvious to stop this being exactly the kind of self-important, unoriginal power metal album that I absolutely detest, and yet it’s strangely enjoyable. Perhaps it’s in the unintelligible mumbling on opener Stream of Unconsciousness, faintly reminiscent of Type O Negative’s asides to the audience on October Rust; perhaps it’s in the simplistic acoustic-and-piano splendour of closer Identities. Maybe it’s just that Vision Divine are Italian, which automatically makes everything they do seem that bit deeper and more romantic than anyone else. More likely, it’s their ever so slightly less pompous than usual attitude that sees them through. Rather than the standard our-music-is-the-most-important-thing-ever approach to power metal, Vision Divine seem to come at this recording with a chirpily self-deprecating air, as if they might possibly be having fun. This attitude, similar to devil-may-care cock-rockers Brides of Destruction, whom they also resemble on certain songs, even manages to carry them through such embarrassing moments as track 7, "Versions Of The Same", sounding spookily like Flashdance. And that takes some doing.

Of course, it’s not all good. They don’t exactly break much musical ground, and the album is peppered with all the old metal clichés we know and love. However, it’s a very decent effort, and we should definitely keep half an eye on Vision Divine. Plus their keyboard player is called Oleg Smirnoff. How cool is that?

6/10

Official Vision Divine website
Official Metal Blade records website

i think your review stinks cause this album is awesome .Alll the songs are kick ass plus the solos are really cool,maybe its not one of those albums that grabs u with the first listen but if u give it listen for couple of times it will be one of your favorites.Plus 6/10 sounds really unfair this album worths 9/10 .

Album reviews are subjective - based on personal opinion. Anna's opinion of the album is (if I interpreted the review correctly) that it is enjoyable rather than essential, and derivative rather than innovative, making it a pleasing listen but not an excellent album. Hence the 6/10 score (5 being average, so 6 makes it above average, or 'good'). To justify a 9/10 score for such a CD would be difficult, because what happens when something comes along which blows away all preconceived ideas of what music can become - give it 10? Only one more mark than an OK album?