Vocal Coach

I'm not familiar with the fact that Tommy had/has a vocal coach (i.e. I can't remember him ever telling about it in interviews).
The man's a 'self taught singing wondermachine' :).

P.s. share the knowledge if someone else knows for sure.

Some of rock's greatest singers received no vocal coaching early in their careers, like Bruce Dickinson, one of the most influential singers of them all!

P.s. share the knowledge if someone else knows for sure.

I finally checked this out from my taperecorder, cause I talked about this with Tommy about a year ago when I was visiting in studio Wonderland. Anyway, to my qestion about "have u ever studied singing" Tommy directly aswered "no." I havent read Xandras interview properly yet, but Tommy told that he started practice singing first time seriosly in his room with Sonata Arcticas debut-album Ecliptica, and like he's friend said, Tommy almost sound like Sonata-singer Tony Kakko immediately! :) Actually, I disagree, cause Tommy has his very own colour is his voice, so does Tony! :)

This is the part of the interview where he told me how he started singing. Which of course doesn't mean that he never had a vocal coach, but I also had the imression he didn't...

When did you start singing and when did you decide to become a singer for a metal band?

Tommy: Actually I was in the school choir in fifth or sixth grade in elementary school. I never sang that much, but of course I listened to a lot of music. When I was sixteen I picked up a guitar and started to write some songs (laughs), because I met this guy Johan Larsson, our substitute bass player. I met him in school and he inspired me to start with music. He showed me some stuff and I came across bands like Sonata Arctica and Dream Theater, a couple of Jorn Lande projects. Have you heard of Beyond Twilight? It has Jorn Lande on vocals too. I was really inspired to thing like that. So I set up a microphone at home and tried to imagine my voice sounded like this and eventually it kind of did. (laughs) So I sang at home and in the car and just tried to sound like what I heard. We had a band, Johan and me, which was called "Johan and Tommy Band" and I wrote children pop music in Swedish (laughs). Later this guy from Vindictive asked me if I wanted to sing on a couple of demo songs, so I wrote the melodies and the lyrics on his stuff, which Seventh Wonder heard eventually and asked me to come to an audition when their singer quit. Or got fired. That's the whole story I think. I just love to sing and I try to sound like the persons I love, but not too much of course.