Vocal Harmonies

Doesn't sound too bad - I always have my harmony vocals darker than the lead vocal, not as much extreme top end or brightness. Chop the low end off a bit higher, too, and don't really use much delay on them - try using a delay sent into a verb set 100% wet so you're only verb'ing the delay'd signal, and blend that in and see if it helps.

Also, add bass. I don't know how some of you guys judge vocal mixing/tuning without a bass... such a fundamental part of the entire sound, and I find singers tend to track better when there's a bass guitar in the headphones.

Thanks Jeff!

This song is actually a demo that I didn't record. It's a song from my band, Anthem Alone, and the vocals are a vocal try out. I recorded the vox but not the music.

I'm going to try everything you guys have said thus far!

Also, there is no auto tune on the vocals, so that may be causing the tone I'm not enjoying.

Here's what I'm talking about. I like my lead sound (other than a section that I left WAY too much delay in), but to me, the harmonies don't sit right at all.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4985090/ZachAudition2.mp3
I listened to the whole song and I really couldn't find a part where the vocals seemed harmonized, it sounded more like some parts had backing vocals, but they didn't sound harmonized. What are you harmonizing in?

I listened to the whole song and I really couldn't find a part where the vocals seemed harmonized, it sounded more like some parts had backing vocals, but they didn't sound harmonized. What are you harmonizing in?

A harmonization is any component to an instrument that embellishes the solo line , in the case, the lead vocal line. They are considered harmonies, just not the best note choices, in my opinion. Maybe that's it, maybe I just don't like the harmony parts. =(

This thread is perfect timing for me! I'm due to have a guy put vocals down on a cheesy rock ballad track we wrote for his woman.

Do you guys think its possible to get good backing vocals with just the main singer doing all the BV?
I want a large amount of BV on the chorus and as I've never done backing vocals before its trail and error.
I reckon on trying 1 at + 8ve, 1 at -8ve, 1 at a 3rd up and one at a 5th up to basically build the chord with vocals. Right or wrong?
Also will doubling all of these help make it bigger or just muddy the waters? By doubling I mean seperate recorded tracks not copy/paste.

A harmonization is any component to an instrument that embellishes the solo line , in the case, the lead vocal line. They are considered harmonies, just not the best note choices, in my opinion. Maybe that's it, maybe I just don't like the harmony parts. =(
I know, but I use the term for when there's a melody and another instrument/vocals play the same melody on another notes of the same scale (thirds, fifths, etc). Perhaps you should try thirds on some parts to see if it highlights certain parts