Vocal harmonies?

Hewy80

www.vitriolic1.com
Jul 5, 2003
Sydney
www.vitriolic1.com
Hi all, I was just wondering how one would mix vocal harmonies.

For instance if there was a lead vocal track then a second track with a harmony of the lead vocal, would you want some stereo separation between the two tracks?

Also how many tracks is it common to use when doing vocal harmonies?

Usually i find when working with harmony vocals i use a different set of eq tips ive picked up over the last while:
(also helps having some phenominla vocalists to work with for learning...)

The Upper Mid Range
<Covering about one octave, this range of frequencies is responsible for the attack on percussive and rhythm instruments and the "projection" of mid range instruments. Equalization can be applied at any frequency in this range but still somewhat centers around 3 kHz.
On the foot drum, boosting 2.5 kHz or 4 kHz increases the attack. 2.5 kHz sounds more like a felt beater and 4 kHz sounds more like a hard-wood beater. These frequencies can also be used to increase the attack or "hit" sound on toms and snare drums.
Guitar lines often get more attack and distinction with equalization added at this range. A small boost (1-3 dB) for the vocal will increase projection. Adding too much energy, in this range, makes it hard to distinguish the syllables of the vocal and can cause listening fatigue. This range of frequencies is often reduced on background vocal to give them a more "airy" and "transparent" sound.
>

when you Reduce the above frequency i find it works really well with whats going on....this way the harmony voice does sound airy(as you can hear in the below example)

http://www.vaticanofsorrows.com/media/audio/VaticanOfSorrows_Broken.mp3
(single tracks for done on this for vocal harmonies)

Blackday was of course a completely different way of doing things,we just layed the voices till it sounded wild enough to use....
Blackday:
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=234249&T=1648
(the vocal production on this one was insane,4 tracks on the verses with weird harmony an whispering,the chorus was about 6 tracks on the main vocal line....even the "Na Na Na's"were about 7 tracks....I approached that with a Jonathan Davis vibe to the production vocally really,i had just listened to"system"from queen of the damned,so we wanted to try an real different way of doing things....considering i had to do this on a p2-350 it came out pretty good....if you like marilyn manson,you'll probably like this track)

hopefully the eq-ing tip helps you out a bit,other than that single tracks for harmonys work prety decent i find...: :headbang: A.Z