Vocal leveling techniques and preferences

Tommy Evans

Jul 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
When it comes to editing vocals, you can see the wave form is all over the place with countless peaks and valleys. In order to get those vocals tracks to sound even through out an entire project, do you prefer to compress them? Or do you dig in and actually edit the wave form with your mouse editor so it physically looks even? Or do you do both?

Trying to get a feel for common practice when it comes to this. So, what do you do?

Compresscompresscompress.

Usually 2 compressors at around 4:1, first with a fast attack and slow release, second with a slower attack and release. I'm not too sure why I do it this way (other than I prefer it to hard limiting) but it seems to work.

Why would you edit vocals according to how they look? :loco:

I like comping them and running a buss with a limiter to keep it even. Automation all over also. so i guess both would be my answer :)

mic - pre - limiter - input - you can also clip (soft limit) the signal using a high end adc which will maintain a more consistent transient level.

***limiting is also used subtly in an effort to subdue any vocal disparities. (a choice limiter would be the la2a)

Why would you edit vocals according to how they look?
I saw Dave Pensado doing it in one of his Pensado's Place webisodes. Not being a smart ass, but I figure I saw him do it so it must be pretty common or at least not unheard of (like it seems to be haha.)

Thanks to everyone for your replies. First thing I'll try is that double comp trick. I'll post something hopefully within the next week or two (gotta get the vocalist in here).

Dave is amazing and automating tracks like that is great, but Dave also compresses and limits the fuck out of his vocals as well.
(I'm meeting up with Dave and the crew in 2 week, I can ask him why he does that if you would like)

For this forum and metal in general, Compress/limit.

I use clip gain between takes to get them all to a more constant level. That's just for those time the vocalist clearly did a whole line at a lower volume, then once it's all kind of consitent I will go through the usual compressing and limiting. I find sometimes if I dont do that those lower lines arent being compressed as hard as the louder ones, and I dunno I just get better results doing a bit of both.

But that's adjusting clip gain on a line by line basis, I wouldn't go in and make heaps of tiny edits to try and make it look the same everywhere.

I ended up using the double comp trick Olif8 mentioned (worked like a charm, thank you!) with some automation throughout, where needed. Nice to see so many people are on the same page on this topic. We're all pretty much comping/limiting/automating. Good stuff!

I'll post a clip in a couple days when I sit back down to work on the mix. I'd spend some time with it tonight but my ears are *le fucked*