Vocal mixing technics or tips?

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
Mixing vocals becomes a difficult task when the takes have been recorded with a Behringer B2 and singer is so bad.
Any magic trick to do it sound better?
What kind of compressions do you use? EQ? FX?

Does anybody know how to get an effect like Ozzy's vocals? It seem to be doubled or chorused but I can't get the same sound, any idea?

The "Ozzy effect" is an Eventide Harmonizer set to stereo micro pitch shift with one side -9 cents and the other +9 cents. But what you are asking is the classic "How do I polish a turd?". Bad singers are just that. You can put them infront of stellar gear and they will sound bad but clear and present. Ugh!

He also said that he would double-track (if not more) his vocals because he hated the way they sounded, at least in the early part of his career. Why, however, someone would want to sound like Ozzy is beyond me.

Jeff

Why, however, someone would want to sound like Ozzy is beyond me.

Jeff

Did you really just say that? Especially on a metal board. Man that is blasphemous.

Anyway, does anyone know if Zakk is using the same setup. Sounds awfully similar to Ozzy's.

I dunno, I agree. I have some old ozzy records with killer tunes on, but his voice just grates. It was cool with Sabbath, but when he tries to sing properly... no. :(

One thing I've been working with lately on background vocals... I picked this out of tape op & gave it a try & it works brilliantly:

When tracking background vocals, put some physical distance between the singer & the mic. Cut your mains up close & personal, but for backgrounds, move the vocalist back by about six feet or so.

In my experience, anyway, this makes mixing them so much easier. Just bring the fader up & they fall right into place in the mix. I used this technique on a current project & I'll post it after it's wrapped up.

-0z-

la2a is indeed very nice too brett must agree.

but i likie a bit more grit myslef
hey ho
horses for courses
just mixed using the pultec pro on vocals
amazing

I love the waves RENAISSANCE for vocals.

Give these plugins another try. I used them on an emo singer and he comes now near to the used.

Very natural, warm and clear. Especialy double tracks sound so unbelievable with them.

I have to say that I liked Zakk's vox ALOT more when he didn't try to sound like ozzy.

Yeah I totally agree!!! Sonic Brew sounded awesome and slowly but surely all of his albums are sounding more and more like Ozzy. Too bad. His live voice is even better than his studio voice IMO.

OZ-
I've used the distance trick too. You are totally right. Way easier to manage in a mix!

distance equals depth!

As far as lead vox, compress (!) and I like to play with different delays and reverbs until it fits right in the song, then back off the effects until they are barely audible.

For vocal compression, I use the EL-8 Distressor. For mellow stuff, I'll use it in "opto" mode, mimicking the LA-2A to some degree. For more screamin' stuff, I'll go with a 6:1 ratio & hit it pretty hard.

i like a good mix of the hardware 1176 when tracking, to keep the level in check and for colour and the plugin for mxing for aditional grit