Vocal effects chain - VST or RTAS

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey , I just got VST wrapper and I use PT 8 LE. Can anyone tell me a decent starting point for vocal effects chain ? I'm really new at mixing vocals... I am right now only using the standard PT Compressor and EQ , along with the VST Blockfish , which sounds pretty cool , I like the Saturation effect.

Edit : Do you usually use different settings for screaming and singing? Or do you pretty much keep them the same?

for me I use very light EQ, some heavy compression, MAYBE some saturation or just the tiniest amount of distortion (you shouldn't even really be able to hear it) and then send the main to a delay and a verb on separate aux tracks. I may EQ after the verb as well a little bit

background vox tend to get a more dramatic low cut but not too crazy. They get sent to the verb at a higher level than the main vox but I don't send them to the delay. Usually compress the back vox a bit harder than the main on their own bus to squeeze them together a bit more

No ... I wasn't saying him specifically, but just in general.

But to that point are you going to assume he does :p

well, I think its best to assume someone does know what they're asking until they say something to contradict themselves or show differently, otherwise you might as well assume that everything anyone asks is being asked wrong :)

That could REALLY slow things up around here :D