Rough Vocal Scream chain for recording in Ableton?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys, I've been using Ableton for recording vocals ( I also have PT 8 but we all know that you can only use their stuff to record into it). Trouble is, I can't use any of the plugs I'm used to using in Pro Tools, and I can't seem to get a decent chain that doesn't make the screams sound really weak. When I put the recorded screams through my PT chain they sound much better, so I know it's not the screams themselves. I'd just like to know what any Ableton users use as a rough vocal chain for recording screams, just to get into the feel of the performance. Thanks!

I'm not an Ableton user, but here's my normal chain.

Compression, just enough to give the vocal some extra grit
EQ, a slight hollowing out of the low mids
Some slight verb

Of course, if the screams are weak anyway, you can't do shit for it.

OK, so no specific plugs then. One of the things that's hardest for me is Ableton only has compressors with no visual meter to gauge how much it's doing gain reduction wise. I'm probably getting it totally wrong, I'm so used to using visual comps in PT

Can someone post a clip of some totally unprocessed screams? I'd love to hear what it's supposed to sound like before it goes through a chain.

I'll throw something up when I get home from school.

Edit: plugins I use: Kjaerhus, KarmaFX, the whole REAPER suite.
Just basics.

OK, so no specific plugs then. One of the things that's hardest for me is Ableton only has compressors with no visual meter to gauge how much it's doing gain reduction wise. I'm probably getting it totally wrong, I'm so used to using visual comps in PT

LiveTech_02.jpg

This shows the GR Meter working (the orange part)