Vocal tricks question

neverpurify

May 24, 2004
Can't remember which track it is but it's near the end of the album on Dimmu's new one. At around 4:43 of the song there is a one vocal part that last a while then fades out. Well not really like a fade out but more like you can hear it becoming more distant. Would a plugin such as Doppler in Cubase achieve this effect? Sorry, I will try to figure out which song it is later on so that you guys can see what I am talking about.

Not sure what you mean (don't know that cd) but the effect you described (like falling into a hole.../...becoming more distant...or so, you can achieve with a reverb sent pre fader.
just pull down your channel-fader and the reverb stays the same...so you're increasing the ratio reverb:dry-->becoming more distant

The song is The Forshadowing Furnace and it's at 4:43 in the song.

How do I sent reverb prefader? Do I have to process it with reverb?

I just figured that out, thanks. I haven't really messed with sends very much . Thanks for the info!

I'm still trying to get the results that I want from this. I tried making the send pre-fader and then with the reverb channel that I have in the send, I turn it to 100 wet. Should I put the level in the send all the way up or what? I find that when I put it all the way up and I lower the track fader that I still hear the vocal through the send. If I turn it down to say middle way it doesn't give me enough of the dissapearing effect.

I just thought of another example of what I am trying to do. On the Immortal song Antarctica there is a part where the music stops and one of Abbath's lines is blah blah blah permafrooooooooooooooost... Just kinda dissapears, you really hear no end to the word.

Actually the effect in the song is not what you are trying to explain to this guy. It's a heavily widden vocal track with reverb with long and loud decay. Cant's say if there is fading of the main vocal track or not, but it surely is not the most important thing.
May be there are some delayed vocal tracks (100% wet) to make the tail so loud.

Hey, do it the old fashioned way. Add a single reverb parked (meaning just, put it there with normal higher settings) and do your growl. When you want to fade out, start walking backwards away from the microphone. You'll get quieter and it'll sound like you're falling or whatever, because as you get quieter, the reverb stays the same level.

I've never tried it, but I saw Akerfeldt moving away from the mic in the Lamentations documentary during the recording of Deliverance.