Vocalist RONNY MUNROE Quits METAL CHURCH; Band Vows To Continue

Qrusher14242

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
Vocalist Ronny Munroe has left METAL CHURCH to "pursue other interests."

Said the band in a statement: "After 10 years, four albums and many great shows and performances, lead vocalist Ronny Munroe will be leaving METAL CHURCH to pursue other interests. This is regrettable, but understandable.

"We wish Ronny success with his new endeavors.

"To our fans, we want you to know that METAL CHURCH is still very much alive and we will have some big announcements for you in the very near future."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/vocalist-ronny-munroe-quits-metal-church-band-vows-to-continue/

i wonder what this means for MC?? Do they try and get Mike Howe back? or go in another direction.

Not to sound negative, but at this point in their career if they don't get Mike Howe back, would it really be all that exciting?

I mean, I am sure they can get a hired gun like James Rivera for an album and a couple one offs, but that won't help them retain existing fans nor gain new ones.

Not to sound negative, but at this point in their career if they don't get Mike Howe back, would it really be all that exciting?

I mean, I am sure they can get a hired gun like James Rivera for an album and a couple one offs, but that won't help them retain existing fans nor gain new ones.

THIS. Honestly, Ronny's voice never hit the sweet spot for me, although the albums with him were all pretty good. I seriously doubt Howe would return after all this time. There's a lot of people who would love it, including myself but it's not likely. Like you said, a hired gun is what I predict....

I agree. My first reaction to reading this news was, wow, it's been that long? He was on 4 albums? Sorry, I love Metal Church but they would have to pull something really big out of their hat for me to pay attention, and Mike Howe is it.

You're right, but then how many times did Kiske say he was done with metal?

Would love to see Howe come back.

To play devil's advocate, Kiske never left MUSIC. He immediately launched a solo career in the 90's, and by the early 00's he was involved with Avantasia and guest musicianship spots.

Howe left music all together. He has a full time job and kids and shit.

Also, Metal Church hasn't had any good albums since '93. Ronny was a GREAT singer who did the classics justice, but the albums themselves were horrible - especially the latest one.

Also, Metal Church hasn't had any good albums since '93. Ronny was a GREAT singer who did the classics justice, but the albums themselves were horrible - especially the latest one.

I beg to differ. The albums with Munroe, while not in the same league of the earlier stuff with Wayne and Howe, were not horrible. Some were quite good, especially the last one, which had some very good songs and is the best with Ronny IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ronny as a vocalist - and there are some decent tracks(especially on the Weight album) - but there's no full album post-Hanging that I enjoy ALL of. If that makes sense. Generation Nothing is the one I like the least of all, however.

Masterpeace also had crazy good songs and some crazy bad songs. haha

Honestly, while they say they have big news, it wouldn't surprise me if eventually the whole band disbands. I don't see the point.

Honestly, while they say they have big news, it wouldn't surprise me if eventually the whole band disbands. I don't see the point.

While I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying, I don't understand why there has to be a point? Musicians make music.

As far as Ronny Munroe goes, I happen to think he's a criminally underrated vocalist, and I actually like the Munroe era Metal Church. "A Light in the Dark" is especially good, in my opinion.

I got to tour with these guys several years ago, great musicians and all around great to hang out with too. When I first met Ronny we immediately hit it off and started talking about Rush. He said he had been a drummer and used to love to play XYZ. Yep, XYZ. I said, "Oh, yeah? I bet you played the SHIT out of it too! It's "Y" YZ you poseur!!!"

We had such a blast.

I'm actually very disappointed to hear this news. I really enjoyed the albums that the band made with Munroe, and the band's live performances with him were always top-notch. Although it would be great to see the return of Mike Howe, I just don't see it happening. Besides, would he even be able to sing like he did twenty years ago? I think the band is perfectly capable of finding a suitable replacement, and at this point in their careers, I doubt that they're worried about staying relevant. I think they just want to keep making good music, which is what they've been doing over the past thirty years no matter who was fronting them.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I just saw them recently and the show was awesome. Munroe now has a solo album out and it's no surprise they he may feel his contribution to MC may be past its peak. I will cream my jeans if Howe comes back. That would be quite a treat!

I'm actually very disappointed to hear this news. I really enjoyed the albums that the band made with Munroe, and the band's live performances with him were always top-notch. Although it would be great to see the return of Mike Howe, I just don't see it happening. Besides, would he even be able to sing like he did twenty years ago? I think the band is perfectly capable of finding a suitable replacement, and at this point in their careers, I doubt that they're worried about staying relevant. I think they just want to keep making good music, which is what they've been doing over the past thirty years no matter who was fronting them.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

LOL - This post is why I love me some Albert Rybka!!!!!

You always stay so positive and full of hope!!!