Voice giving out during recording?

ItsAFugazzi

boat is boat.
Jun 4, 2008
North East, UK.
www.myspace.com
I'm just warming up to lay down vocals for a new track I've been working on and my voice is giving out.

Anyone know any tricks or anything like that to keep it going so I can get all the vocals down? I'd be so fucking bummed if it gives out and I can't sing for a week or so cause I'm really wanting to get this one done.

Cheers,

- Rick.

I apologize for this sounding smug but the best way is to learn to sing correctly. Everything else, (lots of water, throat coat tea with honey, etc.) is just a band aid-- it will keep you making noise but you won't be 100%.

Few tips, some preventative some that should help you out now.

Drink tea, without milk and with some honey in it for sweetening. Take you're time drinking it to leave it work.

Fill a basin with boiling water and put in some vics vapour rub, it's this stuff you rub on your chest to ease a cough but you wanna put it into the water. If you've nothing like that then dissolve some lozenges in it. Put your head over the basin and cover both with a towel and breathe deeply for a few minutes. Should help alot with keeping you going. Feels kinda weird at first but works wonders!

It's very important to warm up before you tear into it, start off by humming quietly starting low and going high, then back low again otherwise you're not streching your chords right. Get louder and more projected but there's no need to go full tilt during warm up. This ones more preventative but if you're not doing it already then you should start.

Another thing is that milk/dairy/chocolate isn't good for tone- dullens it significantly and has a different sound, but it does coat the throat and offers some protection and can keep you going longer. So its a last resort but it might be what you need to get those last few percent down.

It's not always technique, It's pretty common for even savage singers to get hoarse and start loosing their voice recording. I mean a gig is what 2-3 hours long at most, whereas with recording vocals you can be singing for 8-10 hours even more for a few days in a row. It's bound to take its toll on even the most trained guys

It's really important to give your voice some rest as well. What we did when we recorded our album with my band is that we recorded bassguitar the first half of the day and the rest with vocals and the same process the other day. But when you have the time just rest for a whole day. We didn't had the time and our singer did not had any energy left in his body when he was done

If your voice is giving out, the only thing that will really help is resting it - anything that lengthens your session once you start getting tired is likely to make you sound more tired the next day. It's often better just to stop early and have a more productive second day than extend the first day by an hour just to sound bad the next.

if6was9 has covered all the essentials I think.

You have to remember your voice is like any other muscle group - going straight full pelt with it is more likely to cause injury, so you need to warm up. Not only will it make your tone better and let you sing for longer on the day, but if you regularly do it it will improve both over time too. If you look around the internet you can probably find a decent warm-up routine somewhere, but even making "zzz" or "eee" sounds/humming to scales, increasing the pitch of the first note each time for around 20 minutes is better than nothing.

Dairy is bad because of the lactose, it makes your spit thicken up and get 'stickier', which stops your throat getting as raw but wrecks your tone for clean singing, and can make you more glottal-ey (make a "guh" sound before and after drinking milk and you'll see what I mean). Other sugars do the same, but not quite as badly. Chocolate and Cola-type drinks are bad for it.

I'm not so sure about the Vicks suggestion. Vicks is menthol based, so it loosens any phlegm, and I'm not sure that's a good thing right before singing as singing/speaking brings up any crap in your throat - I'd have visions of hacking up during takes, especially if you're a smoker. I've never tried it though, so it's worth a shot! (it won't do any harm)

And I don't think Egan was getting at screamers - screaming with good technique is easier on your throat than clean singing with poor technique. The most important thing is to never force anything. It never helps - making good sounds is all about controlling air pressure, and as soon as you start forcing things you lose that control - not to mention it's an easy way to strain your throat, swell your vocal chords and give yourself a monster headache.

Steve

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huzo3R_Uk-g&feature=channel[/ame]

sweet syrup = marshmallow syrup
corn flakes
"vocaler" tabs = vit C, bass tree extract, chokeberry extract, marshmallow extract
water with honey
cocacola
chio chips (lol)