Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Void Of Silence – Criteria Ov 666
code666 2002 Code010
By Russell Garwood

Started in 1999, Void Of Silence set out to bridge the gap between the illbient/industrial and extreme metal genres, and with “Criteria Ov 666” they have done just this. The music is a writhing mass of extremity. The “negative apocalyptic metal” is, in fact, slow grating guitars, doomy atmospherics, extreme vocals, eerie synths, choirs, and noise, within blackened metal – an intriguing amalgamation. Sick melodies are matched by abominable lyrics and dark artwork in this well-presented digipack with booklet. The band members on this recording are Malfeitor Fabban of Aborym fame providing the words, screams and whispers, then Ivan Zara (guitars and bass) and Riccardo Conforti (keyboards, drums, synths, samples) responsible for the music. What makes this “huge wall of apocalyptic sludge-sound” truly effective, however, is melody. Throughout the songs there are tunes which, while not in any way memorable or accessible, have a knack of building positive emotions before smashing them down again.

While the tracks can seem similar, several songs standout; “Anthem for Doomed Youth” has dark atmospherics, which lead into compelling rhythm guitar and extreme vocals. The music is good. Unfortunately, the lyrics are an atrocity; based not only on Wilfred Owen’s “Anthem For Doomed Youth” but a major misinterpretation of the ironic “Dulce Et Decorum Est” by the same poet. Editing out major (important) sections, Fabbian then has the audacity to mix these war poems with a translation of “Horst Wessel Song” by Horst Wessel Lied – the official song of the Nazi party. After this display of amazing distaste the next standout is the slower, melodic “Anger”, and others include the almost catchy “Nothing Immortal” and “Victory!”.

“Criteria Ov 666” is an original album and although quite inaccessible, it is a welcome, interesting listen. My only complaint other than the lyrical content and subject matter is the music is lacking in variation despite it’s diversity. If you are looking for something dark and original Void Of Silence may well be for you.

Hmmm . . . the review give me a good idea of where these guys are coming from, but I can't quite tell - are they industrial noise or indutrial black metal? It sounds very cool though. I will keep an eye out for them.

This makes me slightly happier tho ;-)
"After their split with the former singer Malfeitor Fabban, VOID OF SILENCE are actually searching for a new singer. After the incredible album "Criteria ov 666" out for code666 on February 2002, the band is going to test new members for the recording of the new albums, always on code666."