VoiVod VS Helloween - First Week Sales

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
VOIVOD = 1500
HELLOWEEN = 4100 (Cracking the Billboard Top 200)

Just curious if this surprises anyone.
I guess going way back to my junior high and high school days, I always found VoiVod to be more well known than Helloween.

Though, since Sony has done the US distro deal with THE END, HELLOWEEN's last couple of releases have received more of a promo push coupled with better brick and mortar distribution.

Anyhow, I love both bands and very glad that each album is getting exposure. For the record, VoiVod's 1500 is double the first week sales of their last effort, so good for them!!

Voivod are still not a name many know. Plus thier output for the past 15 years or so hasnt been the greatest. I love the band but Helloween have been putting out quality stuff every album.

I do not disagree with your statement in the slightest........

Though there were MANY MANY years post Kiske where Helloween weren't even known in the states.

To be honest, I never knew Pink Bubbles Go Ape or Chameleon were even ever created until many years later.

Yeah, Helloween's more recent output has been getting better reviews than the last couple VoiVod.

As I said, I wonder if the licensing agreement with THE END had anything to do with it.
Their releases are pretty readily available at places that still carry CDs.

I haven't bought either yet, but I plan to. I actually almost never buy new releases right away. I like to think that I do my part to contribute to the "long tail" of sales numbers by buying mine later on, rather than contributing to the band seeing a short spike in sales right at the beginning and then a big drop off to virtually none after that.

I haven't bought either yet, but I plan to. I actually almost never buy new releases right away. I like to think that I do my part to contribute to the "long tail" of sales numbers by buying mine later on, rather than contributing to the band seeing a short spike in sales right at the beginning and then a big drop off to virtually none after that.

Sure, and this too is another reason why most big labels only want to sign bands who tour, as that too obviously will lead to additional sales.

So no, nothing wrong with NOT buying first week of release.

Many times people don't realize exactly when an album comes out, or they don't physically see it in stores right away, etc.

not surprised helloween did better. I know power metal isn't huge over here, but helloween did a hell of a job (no pun intended) promoting this disc. voivod not so much. I also think just due to the nature of Voivod, they're a love 'em or hate 'em band. I am surprised Helloween cracked the top 100. That's very good for power metal.

I am actually surprised by this....I thought Voivod was much more well known over here.

Me too.
I mean I know that by today's standards, power metal is more widely popular in the States than prog / experimental / psych / thrash / oddball, whatever you want to label VoiVod.

Though VoiVod had consistent exposure here in the States (well obviously always being on US labels had a lot to do with it), as opposed to Helloween who only has done two US tours between their Keepers Popularity and today.

Must be DragonForce!!!! :)

I mention it because youngins like yourself didn't live through metal's dark ages.
You live in a world where any band is extremely accessible.

There are MANY metal bands from the 80s where in the early 90s I would only know were still in existence if I happened to see a newer album of theirs at a record convention. This was before the internet homeboy.

Sorry, you seem annoyed that I brought it up, but I don't think you appreciate the efforts us older dudes used to have to go through to discover new bands or even to keep up with older bands we were fans of.

You didn't know about upcoming tours. Sometimes you wouldn't even know a band was touring until you saw a flyer or saw it in the Illinois Entertainer.

not surprised helloween did better. I know power metal isn't huge over here, but helloween did a hell of a job (no pun intended) promoting this disc. voivod not so much. I also think just due to the nature of Voivod, they're a love 'em or hate 'em band. I am surprised Helloween cracked the top 100. That's very good for power metal.

Yep, the End does a pretty good job of promoting.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of promotion for the new VoiVod, esp being on Century Media. The sad reality though is CM is pushing their modern / emo / goth / vampire / etc bands these days more than anything.

I would rather have seen VoiVod return to Metal Blade

I mention it because youngins like yourself didn't live through metal's dark ages.
You live in a world where any band is extremely accessible.

There are MANY metal bands from the 80s where in the early 90s I would only know were still in existence if I happened to see a newer album of theirs at a record convention. This was before the internet homeboy.

Sorry, you seem annoyed that I brought it up, but I don't think you appreciate the efforts us older dudes used to have to go through to discover new bands or even to keep up with older bands we were fans of.

You didn't know about upcoming tours. Sometimes you wouldn't even know a band was touring until you saw a flyer or saw it in the Illinois Entertainer.

You realize I'm giving you shit, right? I don't know if you realize just how many times you've said those exact words before.

I know you are, but at the same time, its something that bears repeating.
I love the internet and think it will be the greatest invention I see in my lifetime.
That being said though, people who lived in the underground music community pre-internet went through a whole different experience when it came to discovering new bands, and how folks heard about anything.

I love the internet and think it will be the greatest invention I see in my lifetime.
That being said though, people who lived in the underground music community pre-internet went through a whole different experience when it came to discovering new bands, and how folks heard about anything.

this is sooooooo true. Literally if you were not a person who ventured out and looked for music....you would never know about anything getting released asides for buying a metal mag at the grocery store....yes. There were more magazines back then. The Eagle Foods I worked at carried this great thrash metal magazine and there were all sorts of different metal mags. That is how you pretty much found out with what was coming out if you were lucky. Not everything though was in there.

Like jason said...Pink Bubbles and stuff were unknown here in the states. I was a die hard Helloween fan and I had no clue they existed till 97, when I got back into metal and the internet existed. I even collected Kerrang and Metal Hammer and a few other UK magazines and they didnt even mention them but then again I wasnt getting them a lot when those came out. I was just getting into hardcore / punk.

While most of the magazines covered Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica and the Bay Area scene as well. It was almost impossible to read about US bands. You never saw articles on Omen, Brocas Helm, and stuff. It was mostly the euro bands and bigger selling US band.

Then get into actually finding these releases. Luckily there was Crows Nest and Music Wharehouse in the burbs. They had a great cassette section with tons of stuff.

This was the only way really to get you music....there was no distros to order from or things like that unless you ordered out of classified ads in the back of some zines. There were so many times when I would be at a store and come across another album by a band I liked that I didnt know existed because there was no Metal Archives. You just kind of came across things.

So I think this is where a lot of this stems from with the back and forth about the dark days of metal. Also dont forget....after 1990 a lot of the bands who were putting out quality stuff for years started to get stale....while most people who are getting into this stuff currently dont get it how we did...imagine having a band like Nuclear Assault suddenly writing a slower song / ballad...back then it was shocking because you only knew them as a thrash band. Also back then there was less people open to bands trying new stuff. You were into "metal" or "glam / commercial metal". There was not really an inbetween back then.

It is great that people are getting into metal and looking back and getting older bands. I think it causes a problem when people start talking like they were there and they were not. Times were much much different than they are now. Totally different climate in music back then.

When I was a kid, I walked 12 miles to school in the snow....up hill both ways....with no shoes. Every once in a while, I had to battle a troll or two. School was 8 days a week and 15 hrs long with 15 hrs of homework.