Volbeat singer collapses during concert

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
http://www.noisecreep.com/2009/11/30/volbeat-singer-collapses/

Michael Poulsen, who fronts Danish rockers Volbeat, collapsed 30 minutes into the band's set Sunday night in Holland, and was rushed to nearby St. Elisabeth Hospital in Tilburg, where he was treated for exhaustion and flu-like symptoms.

According to reports, Poulsen complained of chest pain and nausea before buckling halfway through 'A Warrior's Call.' He also suffered fatigue and reported having upper respiratory discomfort and coughing in recent weeks. In short, the doctors think constant touring has taken a toll on Poulsen. Video of the collapse .

Leading up to Sunday's gig, Poulsen was struggling with the flu. He performed regardless, and even informed the audience at the start of the concert that he was feeling ill. After he collapsed, the rest of the show was canceled.

In a statement on the band's Web site, Poulsen says he's doing fine. "Ten minutes before stage time I felt really bad and dizzy, and my whole body was really heavy," the statement says. "I felt weak and I had chest pain while breathing. I only remember playing the two first songs. Every time I was trying to breath I felt dizzy and couldn't see anything else but sharp light."

Doctors told him it was crazy to play the shows while he was sick, and "they were surprised that it didn't happen to me earlier. All the tests they did at the hospital were fine, and every thing looked good. Actually, I'm in really good shape and my heart and blood are fine. I'm sorry to let you people down, but in my heart I know you understand, and I thank you so much for your concern and kind words and support."

Glad to know he's doing better!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad he's ok, but what a fucking idiotic move to play when you're that sick. I understand the passion behind wanting to go out and give the people a show of their life, but at some point, you've gotta man up and say "I just can't." .. play a makeup show, if you're sick, you're sick. Maybe let the band jam for 30 minutes or so for the crowd, appologize profusely, and come back and rock their faces like never before.

I'm glad he's ok, but what a fucking idiotic move to play when you're that sick. I understand the passion behind wanting to go out and give the people a show of their life, but at some point, you've gotta man up and say "I just can't." .. play a makeup show, if you're sick, you're sick. Maybe let the band jam for 30 minutes or so for the crowd, appologize profusely, and come back and rock their faces like never before.

I actually agree with you 100%.

It's the whole "The show must go on" mentality. Many performers will go on stage when ill, unless they are too weak to get out of bed. You'll find this a lot in musical theater (and regular theater), since that is the livlihood of the actors, and a sick day could mean you lose your job. As far as bands go, I would imagine many of them don't want to disappoint their fans, and because it is a source of income for them, however small that income may be. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just stating my thoughts.

Damn, that sucks! Hats off to the man for sticking to his guns and going on with the show! It may seem foolish to people here, but if he cancelled people would've been POed and bitching about it. The show must go on. And when you are talking about a tour, it isn't always so easy to go play a make-up show. Then you piss off the fans, the promoter, the club owner, and anybody else who just feels like being mad at them. He probably thought he would make it - he was wrong.

Now I just wish he/they had the same integrity when it came to playing ProgPower a few years ago.

Daaamn! Glad to hear that he is doing fine though.

There's been a few times that I wonder if I'd see something like that happen at Jaxx. As hot as it was during that one Kamelot show a few years back, I was getting concerned if Roy Kahn was going to make it through!

They don't get paid for 'sick leave.'

It's the whole "The show must go on" mentality. Many performers will go on stage when ill, unless they are too weak to get out of bed. You'll find this a lot in musical theater (and regular theater), since that is the livlihood of the actors, and a sick day could mean you lose your job. As far as bands go, I would imagine many of them don't want to disappoint their fans, and because it is a source of income for them, however small that income may be. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just stating my thoughts.

Actually, I relate to his completely. I have performed in both musical theater as well as rock bands for over 15 years, and my past directors drilled in my brain "the show is the thing". It's not healthy to perform like that, but a lot of performers (including myself) experience great regret if we lay out because it's something we love and we don't want to NOT do it.

Actually, I relate to his completely. I have performed in both musical theater as well as rock bands for over 15 years, and my past directors drilled in my brain "the show is the thing". It's not healthy to perform like that, but a lot of performers (including myself) experience great regret if we lay out because it's something we love and we don't want to NOT do it.

Thanks for confirming. :) I took theater classes in college and my professor CONSTANTLY told us that if you're in theater, being sick isn't any excuse for missing a show, and she explained why. I more or less assumed similar applied to being in a band that's touring, and Rick's comments pretty much confirmed that, as well.

It's a shame that you can't take care of yourself as good as you could, but it sounds like when it's your job and even your rep on the line, that's the risk you take.