Reviewer
Jun 20, 2004
London
www.geocities.com
Vomitory – Primal Massacre
Metal Blade – 3984-14486-2 – 20.04.04
By Anna Novitzky

vomitory.jpg

There are some bands you just wouldn’t introduce to your grandmother. They’re probably lovely people, but you just wouldn’t be able to trust them not to say something to make her drop her false teeth into her tea. I get the impression that a group that would call itself Vomitory is one of those bands. And my grandmother buys me Cradle of Filth CDs for Christmas.

Not that, apart from the try-hard gory song titles (Gore Apocalypse, Stray Bullet Kill, and Chainsaw Surgery being but a few), there’s anything terribly offensive about Primal Massacre (apart from to someone’s granny). It’s thirty-four minutes and twenty-one seconds of shouty death metal goodness, but not, you know, very progressive or ground breaking. It’s brutal, growly and fast, with much intense drumming and barely noticeable guitars, displaying the influence of traditional names like Venom and Napalm Death. One can’t help but wonder, though, whether, having been at this for fifteen years, Vomitory might have been able to come up with something a little more individual. Surely they’ve had time to develop their own voice? But maybe not.

So, if you are looking for something cutting edge, something that rips away at the accepted musical boundaries and laughs in the withered old face of conventional genres, you may wish to go elsewhere. If, on the other hand, you just want to jump up and down and roar like a loon, shaking your hair and venting your anger, come and check out Vomitory.

6/10

Official Vomitory website
Official Metablade website