WACKEN Review

johnnieCzech

Your favourite Czech
Feb 5, 2002
Prague
Hey guys, yesterday I finally got home from Wacken, got a shower, watched some new SP episodes, FINALLY got some sleep and then FINALLY popped MOMD into my DVD player...god was there fuckin and fucking HOT. And I hated sleeping in the fucking tent coz it was so DAMN HOT!

So...ANTHRAX KICKED ASS!!! Well you didn´t really expect anything else, did you. Unlike the Czech festival (Well in fact it wasn´t in Prague as Scott writes so, the place was pretty far away from the capital city), they played in the early afternoon in the goddamn sunshine, yet they literally kicked the festival´s ass. The set was pretty much the same, except they played Room For One More instead of Bring The Noise. So I was happy for that. The sound in Wacken was killer. So was their set. The other Czech girl I met there agreed with me that Anthrax was the peak of the fest. And she hadn´t been into them before. I bought MOMD and wanted to get it signed. But there was NO meet and greet in the end. Dunno why, but those meet and greets are lame anyway.

And what about the other bands?
DEATH ANGEL-kicked ass. Saw them live for the first time, pretty good old skool thrash, very energic. I got a chance to talk to Mark. Very cool and warm guy.

MOTÖRHEAD-hey, long live Lemmy. What can I say? Overkill!!!! And Mikkey Dee is the real, real monster behind the kit. His solo is always a must see.

CANNIBAL CORPSE-didn´t impress me too much.

SAXON-pretty good but they actually closed the festival and I was so tired after 3 days in the pit. Good NWOBHM, liked most of their songs.

DIO-hey this little guy CAN sing! No "Last In Line", WTF?!

HELLOWEEN-God did they suck ass. Especially the "singer". I actually ran away during the second song I saw.

MAYHEM-nothing to write home about musically, but I was curious. Remember, we´re talking about a band in which killing your bandmates and friends used to be considered good manners! That Atilla guy is a freak. I was scared of him, really. He stabbed his hand and drank his own fucking blood. Insane. I took a picture with him afterwards.

HYPOCRISY-Pretty good. Lots of headbanging and stagediving.

DORO and WARLOCK: Bit nostalgic, reunited Warlock, still good. She invited Blaze Bayley onstage and he sang The Trooper and Man On The Edge. Well of course he kinda sucked but I liked it over all.

CATHEDRAL-Boring Black Sabbath tribute band with a disastrous singer who used to be in Napalm Death.

EKTOMORF-Sepultura and Soulfly cover band? Hey this Hungarian Max Cavalera looks different doesn´t he? :)

CHILDREN OF BODOM-I liked it, but it´s a classic power metal with cookie monster on vocals, good effort but nothing new and nothing modern.

And so on. There were actually shitloads of bands. Everything there was about METAL...xcept the beer. Maybe I am spoiled, but this hot and barely drinkable shit they call beer...well....

Sweet. Too bad America will never have such a kick ass festival.
(besides Ozzfest)

Just to let you know - the band couldnt do the meet and greet - even though they really wanted to - because they had to fly to Budapest on an evening flight as they were playing another festival on Sunday evening.

They all really enjoyed Wacken and were really happy with the crowd reaction - metal will never die in Europe - but I still personally think its a bit strange that Saxon were headling!!!!!

I will make it over to wacken and summer breeze hopefully in 2006. it would be nice to have something like it in the US but then again, I love travelling over to europe and hanging out with so many killer metal people from all over.:Spin: