Czech Republic Review

johnnieCzech

Your favourite Czech
Feb 5, 2002
Prague
Anthrax totally kicked ass at the Czech festival. Of course, did you think I was gonna write something else? Seriously, this was the fourth time I had seen them and I can tell you John was in the best shape so far. He was full-speed driving motherfucker all the time and sang like a maniac.
Joey Vera fits pretty well in the band even though I still miss Frank very much. But when I saw them, it occurred to me they looked all alike. A strange idea came to my mind...weren´t Charlie and Scott bit "aware" of Frank´s completely different image? I mean longer hair, taller than everyone else...well let´s forget it. Vera was in all the time and he also sang killer background. They all looked and played very, very tight. Rob´s stage presence was also way better than when I saw him with the band two years ago.
Only thing surprised me a bit. As you can see from setlist below, they played like 80% the old stuff. I mean, why don´t they play more newer songs? Nothing from Volume 8, nothing from Stomp, one from SOWN and two from WCFYA. Wouldn´t John himself be more happy if he actually sang HIS songs and not someone else´s?
But anyway, highlights of the show: BE ALL END ALL. Killer! DEATHRIDER. Fuckin killer!
Oh yeah, and Whiplash. Someone from metallica camp should go and see how to play the song properly.
Anyway, I also sneaked backstage and exchanged a few words with Rob (the rest of the guys seemed to be locked in the bus all the time)
The best thing is, I´m heading for WACKEN on Friday, so it means basically I´m gonna see Thrax twice a week.
Hope the other guys (Jack, Vojdan) chime in with their reviews as well.

I forgot the setlist, here it is:
N.F.L.
Got The Time
Caught In A Mosh
Safe Home
Antisocial
Indians
Deathrider
What Doesn´t Die
Only
Be All End All
Bring The Noise
Whiplash

Hi! I've back from Czech festival with my old school deathsquad:) Last time I've seen Anthrax 8 years ago in Warsaw and it was one of the best concerts that I saw. This time everything was great except one thing....It was too short for god sake!!!! I've missed espacially Inside out and Refuse to be Denied....Anyway the gig was killer! I've missed Charlie's stick but I've Scott's pick:)....Greetings for Czech's maniacs whose joined us in mosh pit!:)
Warsaw be prepare on 5th august! They will come for you all!

The Czech set list was our festival set. We only had an hour to play. On the headlining shows we fuck around with the set and throw in Inside Out and Fueled, Random, Refuse etc.
The Benatska Noc fest was killer. We had no idea it would be so good.

I can nothing but agree with Johnnie, Anthrax kicked ass, even though their performance was too short (about 70 minutes). But there was one moment Johnnie forgot to talk about. During "Indians" John called on two fans dressed in war bonnets to come on the stage but security guys refused to cut them free. Despite of this fact, one of the "indians" tried to get over the fencing but the security started beating him up. When John saw it, he got huffy, jumped off the stage and attemped to patch it up. Finally he succeed to get one "indians" to the stage. When the song finished, John begged off the security and everything was okey. It was a very cool moment to remember!

OK, guys. I enjoyed the Benátská Noc Festival alot. Not only the Anthrax set (which kicked ass) but the whole festival. Even some non-metal bands cought my attention :). Well, what to write about Anthrax? I think everything has been said (or written) already. It could be longer, but whatever. Guys had some amazing sound, probably the best on that stage that day. I joined the mosh-pit, but only for the fist two songs because it was quite rough :) So I stayed like in the second or third row. What totally brought me on my knees were Deathrider and Be All End All. One of my personal Anthrax favourites!!! Guys had some real fun on the stage and played with passion. I think they really enjoyed it. Whole lot of positive energy came from the stage to the crowd. And the "Indians incident" was a moment to remember. John you rule, man!!!!! Great Anthrax show, great festival, great people!!!!!
I hope that the tour Megadeth+Anthrax will be possible and that we can see both bands together next year here in our small (but beautiful) country! :headbang:

I saw T-shirts with WCFYA cover....Price was 600 Czech's krones so its something about 90 PLN.
I've a question to guys from Czech. I saw profesional cameras on stage which filmed the show...Do you have idea that some Czech TV will shows some report from this fest?