Wacken

i hope they will tour through europe in autumn/winter ... i will visit every gig in germany =) hopefully .. if i got teh monay!!!1

Is anyone from Europe or anywhere else for that matter going? Id love to go to see Opeth but they are the only band on it I would want to see.

you're kidding, right?

At the Gates and Carcass are both playing Wacken. That should be more than enough incentive to go. Not to mention Cynic, Grave, Iron Maiden, Kreator, Negura Bunget, Primordial, Watain, and Warbringer. Pretty good lineup this year (I would have gone for ATG, Carcass, and Negura Bunget on the same bill alone.)

btw if this is an attempt at trolling, you suck at it.

you know Nick for someone who runs their mouth alot you dont seem to be able to back it up so why dont you go kiss something.

Not sure what you're referring to, as you started a post about traveling to Germany for a 3-day metal fest, to see Opeth play a 1 hour set. I simply put up a valid argument to your concessions that you'd travel around the world, to see only Opeth play a non-headlining set. That made perfect sense.

There are plenty of other bands on the bill this year that are worth seeing, and there are two bands in particular who were never supposed to reunite, who are now playing on the same festival in the same location during the same time period.

When i met Opeth last monday i asked them what they thuoght about wacken, they said that they actually didn't really enjoy wacken haha because everyone is always drunk and unprofessional.

There are plenty of other bands on the bill this year that are worth seeing, and there are two bands in particular who were never supposed to reunite, who are now playing on the same festival in the same location during the same time period.

Isn't it 3 bands? At The Gates, Carcass and Cynic?

I mean, whoever is going there is going to see history in the making.

Even though Opeth is my fave, there are a lot more bands that are worthy of seeing (ie the aforementioned +) but I couldn't get tickets so am going to Bloodstock instead, where I'll be seeing Opeth anyway and ATG. But it'd be great if Carcass special guested...wishful thinking perhaps.

^ Are they playing there too? I foundd it difficult to get into those guys even though every person that's mentioned them (all of two) thinks they're grand. Hmm.. I've only listened to a few tracks, any pointers?

To answer threadstarters question... I am from Europe (England/Denmark) and I am going to Wacken this year. Even though Opeth has, since I saw them at Roskilde Festival in '05, become my favourite band, they are not worth "travelling across the world" for, as there are, as Nicholas mentioned, plenty of other equally great bands playing this year. Maiden, Cynic, Watain, Warbringer, Sonata Arctica, Alestorm... The list goes on. One hour of Opeth is simply not enough to justify going to a metal festival.

^ Are they playing there too? I foundd it difficult to get into those guys even though every person that's mentioned them (all of two) thinks they're grand. Hmm.. I've only listened to a few tracks, any pointers?
You can't go wrong with their last two specifically Om and 'n Crugu Bradului. Both incredible.

Isn't it 3 bands? At The Gates, Carcass and Cynic?

I mean, whoever is going there is going to see history in the making.

The only reason why I didn't mention Cynic in that particular post is because they aren't from the same scene as ATG/Carcass...I mean two of the founders of melodic dm who weren't supposed to reunite, now playing on Wacken 08. See what I mean with how Cynic doesnt really fit with that? :p

noura: Definitely check out 'n Crugu Bradului and Om. Both are absolutely incredible. (Om has better production though, definitely...imo 'n Crugu Bradului's production is kinda thin and more raw. So if you're into cleaner production, get Om first.)