Waiting For Godot

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
One of the great dramatic works of all time is this tragic-comedy by Beckett. For those who have not read it, seen it, or do not have a half-an hour to read it, the play is about two characters Vladimir and Estragon who wait by a ditch for Godot--who never arrives. Essentially nothing happens but the two talk about a boot, have a few comic slaptsick scenes with a few clowns, and Vladimir and Estragon realize the absurdity of life: "where nothing happens, nothing can be done," according to Beckett.

Hence I ask, is Beckett correct? Is life ultimately an absurd farce, with no great revelations, no higher purpose other than the gallows humor of realizing this fact?

Often I think summing life up in terms of irrelevance
is an excuse for the lazy sorts who haven't eaten vegetables,
are disturbed into hoping everyone loses, and have read
something zen in the water, mindless of the duck-crap.
Then the great discard presents an infinite open, possibilities
garnished with will power and true mind, selfhood for the sake of play.

so I'm kind of torn, just sayin'.

When you talk of "great revelations" or "higher purpose", it sounds as if you are searching for something. Rightly or wrongly, there are many people who believe that they have had great revelations and that they are aware of a higher purpose. Commonly (although not in my case) these people are religious and there is no universal agreement about these revelations. Most people want to find these "truths", but the dilemma is whether we will accept them when we find them.

"It seems that our autocatalytical social evolution has locked us onto a particular course which the early hominids still within us may not welcome. To maintain the species indefinitely we are compelled to drive toward total knowledge, right down to the levels of the neuron and gene. When we have progressed enough to explain ourselves in these mechanistic terms, and the social sciences come to full flower, the result might be hard to accept." from "Sociobiology" by Edward O Wilson.

On the other hand, could this result in the revelation you are waiting for? As to a higher purpose - could that be an ambition to control the universe, terraforming planets and so forth? Or just an ambition to get away from unintelligent and destructive human failings that repeatedly destroy civilisation and are devastating the planet - to a more highly evolved form of humanity?

speed said:
Hence I ask, is Beckett correct? Is life ultimately an absurd farce, with no great revelations, no higher purpose other than the gallows humor of realizing this fact?

I have an article on this topic coming soon :)

Basically, there is no significance to life except what we make of it.

However, this does not mean it is without meaning or boring.

Now modern society? Well, that sucks a dong, but there are wonderful people, books, music, adventures, ideas...

Yeah, I refuse to get negative, although I tell you... I will destroy modern society.

I mean, look at this forum... there are some great people here, and a mound of shitheads. To the shitheads, life is probably empty; the great people don't think that way.

I love Waiting for Godot.

Anyone familiar with the idea of K.Smiths "Clerks" being labelled as a "grunge godot"? that analogy stuck me as quite apt.

infoterror said:
Yeah, I refuse to get negative, although I tell you... I will destroy modern society.

oh that's so cute. It helps to know that not only does confusion keep company, ultimatemetalphilosopherforum is the place to parade in it and exalt it.

oh that's so cute. It helps to know that not only does confusion keep company, ultimatemetalphilosopherforum is the place to parade in it and exalt it.

You two (infoterror and Ojeblikket) are like soulmates. Its also very cute. Infoterror is the fist-pumping propagandist who believes in some paradaiscal dream of a nationalist humanity; and Ojeblikket, is the intentionally obtuse, elitist, who hopes no one has any idea what he thinks, for fear he may not be able to sneer and mock them, nor actually argue with his positions--which he might be unaware of himself. Either way, you two have alot in common, thus I dont see why you fight so.

Speed, I actually think that is a little unfair to Ojeblikket, but they do have a very similar "essence", in terms of how they come across on this forum (very dismissive, authoritarian)- your characterization of Infoterror almost made me spill my coffee :)

Justin S. said:
Speed, I actually think that is a little unfair to Ojeblikket, but they do have a very similar "essence", in terms of how they come across on this forum (very dismissive, authoritarian)- your characterization of Infoterror almost made me spill my coffee :)

Well I was joking around, as I immensely enjoy both of their posts. I really do marvel at Ojeblikket's language--which is like no other Ive come across. I hope us regulars can laugh at each other. Im eagerly awaiting any humorous comments anyone has about me.

On the dramatic and philosophical sphere, Calderon's play Life is a Dream is absolutely brilliant. A true inspiration for BEckett.

Also, of anyone is interested, Beckett's novels Malone, Maloney Dies, and The Unnamable, are brilliant exercises in form, and philosophy. I'd discuss them, but I doubt anyone else has read them. Ah to be a dilletante!