Want opinions on this guitar tone

That is pretty much the same kind of sound I get with sims no matter what I do and I use an emg 81 with an alder guitar. Kind of a grainy top end that's impossible to get rid of, and it has little to do with your actual playing which would sound much better reamped through an actual rig. Maybe I'm just getting tired of sims and they are all starting to sound the same. You've done well, as far as a sim goes, I'd say.

That is pretty much the same kind of sound I get with sims no matter what I do and I use an emg 81 with an alder guitar. Kind of a grainy top end that's impossible to get rid of, and it has little to do with your actual playing which would sound much better reamped through an actual rig. Maybe I'm just getting tired of sims and they are all starting to sound the same. You've done well, as far as a sim goes, I'd say.

Well, thanks, and thanks for the honesty, haha. I've given some thought to reamping but I'm not quite sure about it, and how much it usually costs

Sounds MUCH better now, though you've got some distracting peak you could take care of in the higher mids. If you can't hear it, solo your guitars and mix it in mono, I'm sure you'll hear it.

WTF :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks, I was actually just going to post this because I'm not great at removing fizz, but here is my attempt. I just sweeped the eq while solod and found the bad sounding frequencies.

Here is with no fizz removal

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2354806/Sneap Forum Mix help/Numbered Days Fizz No removal.mp3

And here is with removal

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2354806/Sneap Forum Mix help/Numbered Days Fizz Removal.mp3

How many DB's do you guys normally lower the offending frequencies? And is it usually a very narrow band? Also, do you think that this makes the tone too dark, like should I add more treble to the amp to make up for it?

Thanks for the help guys!

have you experimented with different impulses? i find i can make podfarm sound better than i can make 'awesometime', 'asem greg', and 'orange 2 mics' sound

have you experimented with different impulses? i find i can make podfarm sound better than i can make 'awesometime', 'asem greg', and 'orange 2 mics' sound

Yeah, I have hundreds of them, including all the recabinet ones, but I usually end up going back to the spres-high impulse. This is using the X50 sim by the way, not Pod Farm.

edit: just re-read your post, do you mean that I should try using Pod Farm instead? I'm confused.

I don't dig the tone that much. Sounds flat and total fail on the mutes, as you can expect from a digital tone. And it also got that strange mids that digital tones can have. If you have money then pay someone to do some reamps for you. You will be 10x as pleased in the end.

Sorry for sounding harsh.

I don't dig the tone that much. Sounds flat and total fail on the mutes, as you can expect from a digital tone. And it also got that strange mids that digital tones can have. If you have money then pay someone to do some reamps for you. You will be 10x as pleased in the end.

Sorry for sounding harsh.

I just spent about a grand on a new laptop, plus I'm just kinda trying to get a decent tone out of a sim for my own knowledge, for whenever I have to use them say for someone else's mix. But out of curiosity how much does reamping usually cost, for 2 guitars per song, say for 8 songs? Like just an estimate

That depends on who you're gonna hire. Somewhere between 200-1000$/album i would say. The only digital tone i heard that sounded great was POD, never played around with it myself but Joey have gotten some great results with that, and Axe FX perhaps but that shit is soooo expensive.

And i would probably charge 300$ for an album. I did some reamps yesterday for fun: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12967127/Feared Reamp 2.mp3

Good luck to ya!

That depends on who you're gonna hire. Somewhere between 200-1000$/album i would say. The only digital tone i heard that sounded great was POD, never played around with it myself but Joey have gotten some great results with that, and Axe FX perhaps but that shit is soooo expensive.

And i would probably charge 300$ for an album. I did some reamps yesterday for fun: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12967127/Feared Reamp 2.mp3

Good luck to ya!

Thanks for the tips man, and your mix of that Feared song sounds good!
I actually did a mix of that awhile back with sims, I still have the file here

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2354806/Jay... MP3 Samples/JayB FLRA - Test Mix 2 10 11.mp3

^

That sounded better man, i can think that Ola's playing helped us there a bit haha. Maybe it is a bit scooped? Just listenin through cans though. Have you tried recording with a Maxon Od808 on the way in? I haven't used ampsims in years but i think that could help the mutes a bit.

^

That sounded better man, i can think that Ola's playing helped us there a bit haha. Maybe it is a bit scooped? Just listenin through cans though. Have you tried recording with a Maxon Od808 on the way in? I haven't used ampsims in years but i think that could help the mutes a bit.

Nah I haven't tried that. These DIs were recorded a while ago, this album has taken a long time to come together. I've talked to Ermin about possibly doing reamps. And you're right, I'm sure Ola's better guitar, pickups and playing makes his track sound better. That's the only thing I'm a bit worried about, is paying for reamps and finding out that it won't make a huge difference because the DIs aren't great or whatever

You can always have someone reamp one song for you just to try it. Im sure if someone good does the reamps (if it isn't any wrong with the recordings) you will be pleased in the end