Warning: List of unstable (free) plugins

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Just thought I'd warn the newcomers, ignore this thread if you already know about it =)

http://dallashodgson.info/articles/OpenAmbienceProject/

Pretty cool plugin huh? I used it on synths and stuff to make them bigger and it really works well! Then I thought REAPER had become really unstable... it had about a 20% chance to crash on opening a project. Took me months to figure out the cause for these crashes and today I found it. Yeah, it was this fucking ass plugin.

So if anyone is using it already, I'd like to hear your experiences with it. If you are thinking about using it, I can tell you right away: DON'T. Well, it might work stable in other DAWs but in REAPER, you'll have about 20% chance to crash your project right after it's loaded. After the loading it usually is fairly stable but I've been experiencing some "Sudden Exit Syndromes" while being in the middle of working on a project too but I haven't figured out if they happened because of SHEPPI so we'll have to see about that. But one thing is certain atleast; SHEPPI is buggy.

Another thing, Density mkII was recently updated and supposedly it was updated to be more stable and stuff. I gave it a shot and added it to a track in REAPER and BOOM, Sudden Exit Syndrome. SCREW THAT. TesslaSE and TesslaPRO do seem to be stable now though, I know TesslaSE had some major Sudden Exit Syndrome type of issues before and they "seem" to be resolved now.

So all in all, plugins that will crash/destabilize the DAW (I'm using REAPER):

SHEPPI
Density mkII
Glitch

Just thought I'd warn the newcomers, ignore this thread if you already know about it =)

http://dallashodgson.info/articles/OpenAmbienceProject/

Pretty cool plugin huh? I used it on synths and stuff to make them bigger and it really works well! Then I thought REAPER had become really unstable... it had about a 20% chance to crash on opening a project. Took me months to figure out the cause for these crashes and today I found it. Yeah, it was this fucking ass plugin.

So if anyone is using it already, I'd like to hear your experiences with it. If you are thinking about using it, I can tell you right away: DON'T. Well, it might work stable in other DAWs but in REAPER, you'll have about 20% chance to crash your project right after it's loaded. After the loading it usually is fairly stable but I've been experiencing some "Sudden Exit Syndromes" while being in the middle of working on a project too but I haven't figured out if they happened because of SHEPPI so we'll have to see about that. But one thing is certain atleast; SHEPPI is buggy.

Another thing, Density mkII was recently updated and supposedly it was updated to be more stable and stuff. I gave it a shot and added it to a track in REAPER and BOOM, Sudden Exit Syndrome. SCREW THAT. TesslaSE and TesslaPRO do seem to be stable now though, I know TesslaSE had some major Sudden Exit Syndrome type of issues before and they "seem" to be resolved now.

So all in all, plugins that will crash the DAW (I'm using REAPER):

SHEPPI
Density mkII
OT but, glitch doesnt work in cubase 5

What's up with all the damn randomness... some people never seem to have problem with any damn plugin! I hate you Ryan! :D

But seriously, VST Scanner (a free tool you can use to scan for faulty plugins but it doesn't catch ALL of the faulty plugins though) crashes when scanning through Glitch so there is SOMETHING weird about it.

What's up with all the damn randomness... some people never seem to have problem with any damn plugin! I hate you Ryan! :D

Yeah, it seems to be somewhat connected to hardware/drivers.. like me: I cant run the Reaper plugins at all, they lock up my computer completely. ;/

But seriously, VST Scanner (a free tool you can use to scan for faulty plugins but it doesn't catch ALL of the faulty plugins though) crashes when scanning through Glitch so there is SOMETHING weird about it.

OR it means that there is a bug in VST Scanner! ;)

The FrettedSynth plugins work fine and sound fucking good, but there is one major flaw that has stopped me from using them. As long as you don't put multiple instances of them, they work fine. You can actually put multiple instances of them, but after that you can't open the project ever again unless you uninstall the plugins. It even reads in the readme file:

Fretted Synth Audio
FreeAmp v3.5 ©2007-2008
frettedsynth@att.net
www.frettedsynth.com

NOTE TO MULTI CORE PROCESSOR USERS - There is a problem with running multiple instances of FreeAmp on multi processor machines re: duel core, quad core systems. This is a bug with SynthEdit and is being worked on now.
There is a work-around - Copy and paste the .dll file and rename (example) FA3_Full.dll copypaste and rename FA3_Full2.dll, FA3_Full3.dll. You may make as many copies as you need instances just give different names to all of them and load them seperate. Sorry about the bug will fix as soon as I can fix.