WARNING - SPOOF SAXON GIG!!!

Well, of course, you must mean Fingers - because everything about the North is much better than the South, innit? :D

Well, the Bitter is a lot better in the north, thats for sure!!

Been down south twice this year (isle of wight and london) and the beer is soooo flat and awfull :ill: even the lager needs a dash of lemonade in it to liven it up :lol:
I like my beer with a nice creamy head on it :kickass:

I've been off the scene for a while, so what or who exactly are "OD Saxon".
I presume this is Oliver Dawson and if so why all the negativity?
Do they not have as much right as Biff and Co to use the name Saxon?
As two of the founder members, surely they are within their rights.

I've been off the scene for a while, so what or who exactly are "OD Saxon".
I presume this is Oliver Dawson and if so why all the negativity?
Do they not have as much right as Biff and Co to use the name Saxon?
As two of the founder members, surely they are within their rights.

This should help explain it Guy -

A REPORT FROM BIFF - 16th October 2003

Hi,

Well its about time I filled you in on what's happening SAXON wise. So the DVD finally came out and it seems everybody loves it, it took some time to locate somebody to make the booklet and put it all together, however it is getting rave reviews around the world and is selling great, and thanks to all of you who passed on your reviews across the net.

We are at the moment writing the next album, I don't have a release date yet but like the DVD it has to be great, so we are taking our time, but I can say it's starting to sound good.

As you may have heard, the minor annoyance has been dealt with! They may decide to stop causing trouble now, or maybe not we will wait and see. They could go to jail if they do not comply with the court order. We have allowed them to use the band name Oliver Dawson Saxon as long as the text stays the same size, and does not confuse the fans. If they start the same tricks then we will go back to court and stop them using any band name with Saxon in it.

We are playing some shows in December with our friend Doro also Circle to Circle, we hope you can get to see it as we are planning to play 5 or 6 different songs in the set, Stallions of the Highway etc. Any suggestions? (Oh no a poll) Keep it simple, the most votes willget played.

OK, that's about it, I think (hope) we will do a tour diary in December to let you know how everything is going.

Keep the faith

Biff Byford

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14th October 2003

SAXON name use 100% settled!

"The recent Passing Off Proceedings brought by Biff Byford against former members Graham Oliver, Steven Dawson and Rupert Withers (the current manager of Oliver and Dawson's band) have now been settled on terms which included extensive undertakings to the Court being provided by the Defendants not to use or authorise the word "Saxon" by itself. The Defendants also undertook not to lodge any trade mark application or community trade mark application in respect of the name "Saxon" and to take all necessary steps to withdraw the Community Trade Mark application referred to in the Particulars of Claim.

This now settles the ongoing dispute over the name in Biff Byford's favour as in effect the Order which was approved by the Court on 25th September 2003 enables Biff Byford's band and that band alone to use the SAXON name by itself, together with the traditional Saxon logo and Saxon eagle. This should bring the long running battle over the name to a significant conclusion and Biff Byford and the rest of the band have declared themselves very satisfied indeed with the outcome.

I still fail to understand the negativity from people about Graham and Paul.
I had heard about some legal issues, but can understand why they wanted to use the bands name.
Why such a downer on them?

They became a bit of a joke.When they first went out together as Son Of A Bitch everyone was cool.Although they had a crap singer, it was a case of fair enough.The problem started when they started playing as O/D Saxon.
The Biff/Quin Saxon had been slogging around the world rebuilding there fan base.On top of that they made some top notch albums.They played a lot of festivals and worked their balls off.Then O/D Saxon started making the O/D so small that people started getting mixed up.
I don't care what went on in the band.The way i see it when Dobby left(or got the boot) Saxon carried just as they did when Gill left.When Johnson left Saxon carried on.So when Olly left(or got the boot) and Saxon carried on those who stuck by Saxon stayed loyal.
I gave up on Saxon in 1989 to me they had become a joke and music in general was going through some major changes.I saw them again in 1991 and said to myself i hope they split up.But they carried on and on and got better and better.The next time i went to see them was in 2001 at the Astoria and i bacame a massive fan again.
The way i see it is look at all the line up changes Deep Purple have had and all band members seem to agree on who keeps the name.O/D Saxon became a silly tribute band.Wardi in a crap singer and was before he joined O/D.I wish them all the best and i meanit.They recorded some of the greatest metal albums ever.The songs they played on and wrote defined and was a soundtrack to my youth.But to my mind The Real SAXON is this one Byford,Quin,Glocker,Carter and Scarret have become the best Saxon line up ever.
If this reply does not explain it well enough.ask Pax or Goss or Fingers they all are far more literate than me.:lol:

I still fail to understand the negativity from people about Graham and Paul.
I had heard about some legal issues, but can understand why they wanted to use the bands name.
Why such a downer on them?

The negativity towards them is down to them passing themselves off as Saxon. There were a number of gigs towards the end of the 90's where a show would be advertised as Saxon and it would be Oliver/Dawson. I for one was really pissed off at seeing a shoddy imitation under the Saxon name.

I saw Graham Oliver outside the venue that night and spoke to the people on the door asking them what was going on, the reply was that Biff & Co had left the band!!!!

Dirty promoters, whether it was orchestrated by the M/M band themselves or not.... they would certainly be aware that it was happening and the ill feeling towards them, and yet they carried on doing it.

The other thing to really piss us all off, was the fact that Oliver & Dawson registered the Saxon name as theirs after Oliver was kicked out - Something which a number of years to be rectified.

They had already released an album under the name of Son of a Bitch, so why go after the Saxon name. We will never know the truth about why they left, but certainly when Graham Oliver left it wasn't under the friendliest of circumstances. Whether its down to the resentment Graham Oliver felt about being sacked or not I don't know. I'm not 100% certain about that being the case - I just feel 99% confident that it happened out of spite.

Hopefully it cost their backers a lot of money.

I have a lot of time for the music they gave us as part of Saxon, but as people... not so much. It hasn't worked in their favour, if anything 90% of the fans have followed Biff and Co. I don't think there are many that like the 2 bands equally and sides have certainly been taken.

We once had the misfortune to see M/M Saxon supporting Dio (well, luckily, we just caught the tail end of their set!!)...they sounded atrocious and had no stage presence. If I see the name Saxon, I expect, and want, to see Biff and the boys - no-one else.

It's obvious from the recent replies that there are some issues still around.
I'm not here to take sides or stir things up, just trying to get things clear in my own mind.
No doubt things have gone on in the past that we may never get to hear about and as such I've a foot in both camps.
I always got on with Graham the most but also formed part of the nucleus that adopted Nigel when he first joined the band (think it was the Denim tour if memory serves me right). He was like a lost soul at the start of the tour (EH UP Nigel, if you're reading this don't forget the brevilled tripe), as not many fans knew who he was and he didn't have the rock drummer look at the time.

anyway, good luck to anyone that ever had a part in one of the bands that for me was what the NWOBHM was all about.:worship: