Warrior Soul's Kory Clarke 2006

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
*This was to be used for CRAVE MAGAZINE based out of Portland, OR....
They are backed up like a infant being introduced to "real" food...
So rather than to "dump" it altogether...
I give you the interview....

Warrior Soul’s Kory Clarke one of underground metal’s best kept secrets. Though Warrior Soul were signed to a major label back in the early 90’s, the band was edgy and had the attitude of a band like the MC5, the political awareness of a Rage Against the Machine, before it became a trend in the mid 90’s to the present, with bands such as System of a Down and the like.
I had a chance to chat with the charismatic singer, who know front a new band called Dirty Rig. Also for those of you that have never experience Warrior Soul Esacpi Music will be re-issuing the band’s back catalog, many of the titles which have been out of print for a while.

Sixxswine: Kory currently, Warrior Soul is having five of their records re-issued. Can you tell us how that came about?
Kory: I had been waiting to find a great place to put this material. And Steve Seabury from "Barley and Hops" found the right place. You have to understand it has not been easy to find it! Escapi a new world wide record label is the right place. We have signed an extended deal and it will allow many more people to hear what Warrior Soul was talking about. This I feel, is very important right now.
Sixxswine: For a fan that already owns some of the records in this re-issue campaign are there any extras?

Kory: Well yes of course. Many classic concerts that needed remastering as well as the albums. I'm very happy with the results of these process’ and love my new mastering engineer Steve Kadison. He has made these recordings sound amazing!
Sixxswine: Have they been remastered, remixed or expanded?
Kory: Yes.In a major way. The first 2 records were mastered in analogue by George Marino and he literally saved my first album. He made the 2nd one way better than it was when he got it. The third he actually thought I might be a great producer! The fourth and fifth he did his work well but not on the level he had to on the first.

Sixxswine: What are the plans to promote the records?
Kory: Simply put them out and let my company exploit any venue. They want success even more than I do!

Sixxswine: Exploit? Explain, please.
Kory: They want to sell some copies of the records. They want to remind people that these records existed and are now available again.

Sixxswine: Out of all the material that you’ve recorded, what has been the strongest record that Warrior Soul has recorded?
Kory: Hard to say, I love all the records...umm, ok... I like 90% of Last Decade.89% of Drugs God. 99% of Salutations.85% of Chill Pill. 99.9% Space Age.
Sixxswine: Sounds like you are pretty happey with the end product of each release. Why do you think that is, is it creative control?
Kory: That again hard to say. I laid out a lot of different ideas and styles over the 5 records. It's impossible for me to elevate one over the other.

Sixxswine: Kory I've heard various stories about the Chill Pill album. Something to the fact how your relationship with Geffen records had soured, so much that you recorded an album of lesser quality Warrior Soul material just to spite them. How much of this is fact?

Kory: (Laughs) None! That idea has been a misconception for a long time now. Chill Pill was meant to be released more as Guns "Lies.” A record in between major releases. This means it was a lower budget production, but not lower quality material. The demos for the record that wasn't made were released long ago on the compilation "Odds and Ends". I had hoped to be at Elektra but Geffen would not let me go.

Sixxswine: So you had Elektra records looking to sign you, if you were released by Geffen?
Kory: That is correct, they wouldn’t let me go.

Sixxswine: You have a new project called Dirty Rig. That is a reference to heroin “gear” isn’t it?
Kory: Well,needles are sometimes called "rigs" you would not want a dirty one would you?!
Sixxswine: I wouldn’t think so! What direction are you going in with that band?
The same direction Ozzy went when he left Sabbath.

Sixxswine: How different is it from Warrior Soul?
Kory: Hmmm...(laughs).
The same direction Ozzy went when he left Sabbath.

Sixxswine: Ozzy went solo yes, but musically he was more commercial. Are you heading for a more radio friendly direction?
Kory: Sounds like you’ll have to check us out, to find out.

Sixxswine: Would it be safe to say that no matter what Warrior Soul did they were destined to fail?
Kory: No, I don't think so. If Warrior Soul was some kind of failure I'd love to have failure again. I did 5 records over a 6 year span all of which were critiquely acclaimed and sold pretty well. Not millions but well. It was not hair metal. Warrior Soul played in front of a quarter million people then disbanded. The last album may be the best of them all. That is a success regardless of the level.
Sixxswine: There is a former member of Warrior Soul that’s no longer with us. What are a couple good stories about drummer Mark Evans that you’d be willing to share with the readers?
Kory: Oh man, he just did stupid shit all the time. He was so funny, he and Pete McClanahan(Warrior Soul bass player, RM) both. Like we were at a party at Peter Jay's house before he got in the band and we all fell asleep when we woke up Mark was laying face down, his pants around his ankles with a light bulb sticking out of his ass. Or on the "Salutions" tour Pete and Mark found a boot some slut they did the night before left behind and they would jerk off on it constantly in the back of the truck. But mainly it rode like a bizarre trophy on the dash board of our luxury van. They were so proud of "The Boot".
Sixxswine: That is some pretty sick, yet funny stuff man. How did you meet him?
Kory: A guitar player named Steg used him as a drummer and got him in touch with me. The rest is as they say history.
Sixxswine: How much contact do you have the surviving members of Warrior Soul? What are the up to these days?
Pete McClanahan, he's got a new band called "The Worried". I told him he was paranoid. I’d like to think I inspired the name?!

Sixxswine: Warrior Soul once toured with Queensryche. Now I didn’t catch that tour, but I was wondering, how did that tour go?
Kory: I think it should have gone much better, but overall pretty good. We made new fans and helped get our name out there.
Sixxswine: How did Queensryche treat you guys?
Kory: Ok, I guess, we were the opening band, I’ll leave it at that.

Sixxswine: At the time it was kind of an odd pairing, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Did they ask specifically for you or was it your management that made it happen?

Kory:Management forced Queensryche to do it I think. It made sense to tour with them because they were performing Operation Mindcrime and we spoke to social issues as well. There might have been some resentment, due to Q-Prime forcing their hand.

Sixxswine: What bands were hard to tour with?
Kory: I’ll have to go with Danzig, maybe not the entire band, but just one person in the band.
Sixxswine: How did Warrior Soul deal with the traditional hazing of the opening band?
Kory:You deal with them, if you want to stay out on the road you’ll have to, you know?
Sixxswine: The state of rock music has changed several times in the time Warrior Soul has released their debut record. What state do you think rock music is in North America?
Kory: You might not expect this from me but it seems to be alive and well. There’s some good stuff out there.
Sixxswine: So what bands are doing something that you feel is original or entertaining?
Kory: I want you to write down these names and track them down Driven Under, Goat Horn and The Stoned. Got it?

Sixxswine: Yeah, wrote them down. What do you think of the current American Government?

Kory: What government?! You mean corporation?!

Sixxswine: I hear you man. Will Osama ever be captured you think?
Kory: I suppose you’d have to ask Bush? A question that comes to mind is do they want himcaptured?!
Sixxswine: Crave Bill Clinton had a chance to get him during his time in the White House, but didn’t pull the trigger…
Kory: Well you know why that was right?! It’s because he's a big sissy!!!
Sixxswine: Why do you think America is hated by so many nations?
Kory: I don't know...maybe because we are so free and have free and fair elections and gay marriage. That would piss anybody off I would think?
Sixxswine: Should Americans be ashamed about being Patriotic?
Kory: Well do you mean like Nazi patriotic or Walmart patriotic? They both are really pretty stupid. If you ask me.
Sixxswine: I’m not following you. I don’t see the connection between Wal-Mart and Nazi’s? I do think that some times turns other nations off.
Kory: I can't understand why?! The U.S. corporations have given away all your good jobs to them! That’s gratitude for you I guess?!

Sixxswine:If you could change anything about Warrior Soul’s career what would you change?

Kory: I have know idea? I don’t think I would change a thing.

Sixxswine: Complete this sentence. “Being in the music business has…”
Kory: Inflamed my hemroids!!!! (laughs)

In closing, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to answer some questions. I’d like to give you an opportunity to say something to your fans or plug your band. Thanks A Million Kory.
Kory: Thank you it has been pleasant, let's do it again. Also the records will be available shortly so watch out for them.
http://www.myspace.com/dirtyrig http://www.dirtyrig.com/

For a review of the First Warrior Soul re-issue:
http://www.astrofaes.co.uk/index.php?date=06-04-22&time=1106