WASP @ The Pearl Room March 2nd

Thats what I read about- a backing track being used. Thats not the same as lip syncing. It's used for harmonizing, and just like you said, enhancing choruses. WASP has a ton of vocal layers in their music. If he did lip sync for the Idol tracks, I can't say I'd be all that surprised. The voice naturally deepens in pitch with age, and I'd be really surprised if he could hit the high notes that he hit on the Crimson Idol now. Those aren't falsetto vocals. Those are fucking wails. Man, I wish I could make this show. That record is incredible.

To whomever goes, rock out for me!! :headbang:

I agree.
The songs do have a lot of vocal harmonies on the album...mostly Blackie's layered over....makes sense if they want a certain sound while playing live.
But yeah, I have seen WASP every time they come to town for the past 6 years and he has always sounded great. But from all the talk, it makes me wonder.
I'll just humor myself and take all "the talk" as rumors.
Ha Ha!

Oh....and for anyone who is planning on attending...
No cameras allowed.
Bullshit in my opinion, but whatever.

Overall, the show was good last night.

A few disappointments including the fact that there were three opening bands, each of which played for 45 minutes, with set changes in the range of ri-god-damn-diculously long. Not sure if it was planned that way or what, but the first band went on at 6:00pm, and WASP didn't go on until 10pm.

Keep in mind this was an All-Ages show, so that left enough time for WASP to do the entire Crimson Idol album (as promised) and three "classic" tracks after a short intermission, which inlcluded
L.O.V.E. Machine, Wild Child and Blind in Texas.

(Kind of bullshit in my opinion that I had to wait through 4 hours of opening bands, for 1 hour of WASP, but whatever).

I definitely would have liked to hear more classics, but the Idol set was fucking awesome. The video footage of "The Story of Jonathan" was really cool...all in black and white.
Another disappointment was the fact that Blackie didn't have Elvis.......his bigass microphone stand.

Two out of the three opening bands were pretty cool.
A.D.D. and The Last Vegas.
I really liked ADD a lot.
Margaret (The chick vocalist) is a Rock Monster....I love her!

Thanks for the review.
As a fan of only the first couple WASP albums, I am glad I didn't go.
I would have been furious by the number of opening bands, just being honest.

Good choice in classics!

So, who thought Blackie (and the backing vocals) were lip-synched? Something was up because he sounded better last night than he has in forever. I thought I caught them a couple of times, but if they were synched they did an excellent job of covering it up. Fatal Smile for Powerfest 2009! (or is that 1989?)

They weren't really glam. More of a party/ hairband thing going on. I jokingly asked Chris if he would book them for next year. There was a guy in the crowd who looked like he had stolen Dee Sniders clothes from 1984.

So, who thought Blackie (and the backing vocals) were lip-synched? Something was up because he sounded better last night than he has in forever. I thought I caught them a couple of times, but if they were synched they did an excellent job of covering it up. Fatal Smile for Powerfest 2009! (or is that 1989?)
I know a lot of the backing vocals were piped in, but I'm not positive Blackie wasn't singing a majority of the lines. It's really hard to tell. He could have been singing lightly, only to have a backing track there to help fill out the sound. I don't know what kind of magic goes on, but at a bare minimum I think it's fair to say that a decent percent of the vocals heard last night were pre-recorded. He did a good lip sync job if that was the case.

The three openers were tough to take. Fatal Smile was a quality band, but I wasn't very interested. The first two bands were completely forgettable in my opinion.

Wasp only playing for around an hour or so was a bit weak, but I enjoyed their set, and only expected about a 75 minute set at most after reading some earlier reviews. I think we got screwed out of a tune or two because of time constaints. The opening band got started a least a 1/2 hour late, and it seemed to take a long time between sets to get the next band going. In the end I think Wasp had to wrap it up slightly before they probably expected.

Wasp didn't have any of that old stage getup stuff they've been known for in the past. No crazy mic-stand .. no blood .. etc. Not much fluff to be found. The band had good energy though, although I was pissed that Blackie doesn't do that little dacing jig bit that he used to do back in the day. I kept waiting to seeing (so I could get a major laugh), but it never happened. He's apperantly scrapped that over the year.

After The Crimson Idol set they played Elvis in Vegas on the big screens, and it stayed on the entire time they ripped off their final three songs of the night. That was kind of odd, but I think Blackie is kind of known to be that way, so I guess it should have been expected.

I'm going to guess there were probably 300-400 in attendance last night .. the crowd was dead most of the night, but I think Wasp got a pretty good response from what I could tell.

I bought a bunch of tickets last night for upcoming shows at The Pearl Room.

I'll be seeing Symphony X on 4/13, Powerfest on 5/1-5/3, and Candlemass on 5/25. Throw in Trouble/Icarus Witch on 4/4, and it's going to make for a good string of shows in the near future.

Britt

They weren't really glam. More of a party/ hairband thing going on. I jokingly asked Chris if he would book them for next year.
Yeah, they were not really Glam, but their image and energy reminded me a lot of Motley Crue.

l_96664105882c17123c0d064d41dcd486.jpg

There was a guy in the crowd who looked like he had stolen Dee Sniders clothes from 1984.
Was that the guy in the assless chaps?

Yeah, but at NITE CAPS on April 5th, you can see Scott Davidson's band STONEFACE NATION!!!

I know this dude does a lot for TROUBLE, but does he have to place one of his bands on EVERY gig they play?

I saw them at Harpos' and i have to say it was good. though us michiganders had to deal with more bullshit than you guys.
Doors open at 6, standing out in the cold till 6:35 was bitch. We had like 8 local acts before Fatal Smile came on.
only like 2 of them were good. A Motley Crue cover band and a comedic metal band.

Fatal Smile is alright by me. though they are too poppy for me to be serious about liking them.

WASP of course did what they did for you guys. Though I thought that the vocals were almost dead on, i think that Blackie did sing, along with his 2 other members doing background.
WASP also did 1 track from Dominator, take me up or whatever.

Id like to think this was a brilliant performance, Though i could tell they had somebackground stereo vocals. There were times when Blackie would be yelling "no photos" away from the mic while his bandmates did the chorus. Though i can honestly say i doubt those 2 guys can match what blackie's voice "was"

8 local bands????????????
My only guess is that maybe the club has a "pay to play" policy, and was guaranteed money.

I don't care how good your local scene is.

NO ONE wants to see 8 local bands before a legendary headliner.