Wastefall - Self Exile

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Wastefall - Self-Exile
Sensory - SR3031 - 2006
By Brandon Strader

Wastefall-Self-Exile.gif

If you're a fan of greek vocalizing, you'll love the intro to Wastefall's Self-Exile. The vibes emitting from the introduction track are powerful in creating the feeling that you're forsaken in a desert somewhere... The artwork also seems to feature plenty of sandy colors that helps to add to the desert-like imagery. Self-Exile has been recommended for fans of Pain of Salvation and Nevermore, and the mixture of these two bands apparent within the sound of Wastefall and actually sounds very unique and entertaining! Most of the Pain of Salvation sound rests within the vocalist's performance, however. It's a great vocal performance throughout Self-Exile indeed, very Daniel Gildenlöw-ish. Now that you mention it, there seem to be a lot of Gildenlöw immitators lately! This guy does it fairly well, but not the best I've ever heard.

Wastefall will surprise the listener by entering a jazzy jam, or a middle-eastern arrangement (hey, these guys are from Greece by the way) amongst their progressive metal stylings. They never actually play anything too similar to Nevermore and the vocalist, like earlier stated, really does not sound or sing in a style similar to that of Warrel Dane so people looking for another Nevermore will not find it here! Wastefall succeeds in an area that progressive metal groups usually do succeed in: making complex, entertaining and emotional music that will keep you begging for more. Each song is distinct with it's own sound and style and, overall, the material is very diverse. Self-Exile, to be released on June 6th, 2006 (Gasp!) is a very worthwhile endeavor and will keep you entertained for a long while. Apparently 6/6/06 release dates aren't limited to black metal, so make sure to pick this one up when it is released in a few days. Bring holy water.

9/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Wastefall Website
Official Sensory Website

Wow, 9/10, but I don't like the artwork so much... Looks like I'll have to check this out when I get some spare cash.

Zack said:
Wow, 9/10, but I don't like the artwork so much... Looks like I'll have to check this out when I get some spare cash.
Yeah... highest rating so far for UM.com.
The only rating I've ever given higher than this on any mag was Ewigkeit's Conspiritus, which got a 9.5. Pretty great stuff. This (Wastefall) is definitely worth checking out of you like prog metal. :)