Watch GUNS N' ROSES Bassist DUFF MCKAGAN Unbox 'Super Deluxe' Reissue Of PRINCE's '1999'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan has written liner notes for a reissue of Prince's 1982 album "1999", due on November 29 via Warner. The reissued "1999" will be available in three versions: super deluxe (5 CDs or 10 LPs and DVD); deluxe (2 CDs or 4 LPs) and remastered album (1 CD or 2 LPs). The 5xCD/10xLP "super deluxe edition" will feature 35 previously unreleased tracks from Prince's vault, as well as a DVD containing footage from his 1999 tour stop at the Houston Summit on December 29, 1982. Also included will be photos by Allen Beaulieu, who worked with Prince in the early '80s, and additional liner notes by longtime Rolling Stone critic David Fricke, the Current radio host Andrea Swensson and Prince scholar Duane Tudahl. A four-minute video of McKagan unboxing the "super deluxe edition" of "1999" can be seen below. Duff said: "This record taught me so much about music in the early years of forming my style. Truly honored to be a small part of this amazing release." The GUNS N' ROSES bassist previously told Classic Rock magazine that he was "turned on to Prince" sometime around 1980. "I really love 'For You' and 'Prince' and 'Controversy' and 'Dirty Mind', but there was something about '1999'," he said. "A lot of heroin was going through Seattle, and while I wasn't using, a lot of people were getting strung out: my friends, my roommate, my girlfriend, my band. We had just signed to Jello Biafra's record label and were going to be the next big thing, but a couple of the guys got strung out and it was the end of the band. "It was 10 MINUTE WARNING, who were a precursor to SOUNDGARDEN and GREEN RIVER and all of that. I was heartbroken, man, seeing all this stuff going on around me, and I knew I had to make a decision. Then 1999 came out in 1982, and I just dove into the record. "I loved 'Little Red Corvette'. It may be the most perfect three-chord song ever written. But it was the deeper tracks that I loved most. I would get off work and come home and just play the record and it was my escape. "Everybody has that record that 'saved their life,' and '1999' gave me the courage to stand on my own two feet. It gave me the courage to leave. I knew my car wouldn't make it to New York, but I knew it could get me to L.A. Somehow it encouraged me to do that on my own, and it was scary, but I knew music was going to be my thing."

Continue reading...