circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Watchmaker – Erased from the Memory of Man
Willowtip Records – WT-039 – October 25th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

watchmaker.jpg

Where does one even begin when describing Watchmaker? Should I tell you that the band overflow with aggression, and use the former as maliciously as possible? Should I cite the quality of Kill.Fucking.Everyone., but then move on to tell you that Erased from the Memory of Man, though different, trumps the quintet’s past efforts by a wide margin? Or should I take another route by depicting the eye-catching packaging, which houses the craziest music known to man?

I’m embarrassed to admit that I haven’t ever heard Kill.Crush.Destroy., but if their last two records are any indication, then I’m in for a bliss-filled disemboweling when I do get around to consuming their debut. At any rate, Erased from the Memory of Man boasts Watchmaker at top form. The production has been tweaked to perfection (no Circle of Dead Children-like minimalism here), the musicianship is drop-dead stunning, and the overall package is strangely alluring. Brian Livoti’s vocals have dropped in pitch – they aren’t as high as on K.F.E. – but they sound more strained than ever, like he pushed himself to the edge and then jumped off without hesitation. Or perhaps he literally set himself on fire during the recordings sessions. Either way, Livoti’s vokills unite pain and pleasure, and adhesives such as blood, sweat, and spit hold those ostensible disparities together. With sixteen songs, which clock in at twenty-six minutes total, there’s not a boatload of material here. My question, though, is as follows: who can handle more than half an hour of this? The short timespan unintentionally solidifies the notion that Watchmaker are best devoured in short bursts. I know I wouldn’t be able to listen to these guys for more than thirty minutes at a time without wanting to repeatedly stab myself with sharp objects, in a good way of course!

Still, even when reflecting back on my praise, it’s arduous to pinpoint moments that protrude more conspicuously than others. In what can be deemed comical, the most memorable parts are ones that don’t necessarily pertain to the group’s usual stylistic choices: Livoti’s tormented screams, alone, provide a segue from “Relentless Post Mortem Killing” to “Therapeutic Dirt Nap,” and the approachable grooves in “Visiting Plague / Blood Freezing Violence” are slower and easier to absorb than normal. The artwork/layout escaped from Livoti’s fingertips, and is irresistible. On a different note, maybe to prove that they aren’t all work and no play, the instrument descriptions (“Yearning Flame of Drum Turret,” “Ghetto Fucking Bee Keeper,” “Vocal Fucking Sawblade Terror,” et al) are funny as hell. To prepare for this, if you think you even can, I recommend revisiting “Maddening Assault” and “Great Misleader” – both from Kill.Fucking.Everyone. – for an excellent transition into Erased from the Memory of Man.

As of now, Willowtip Records is entrenched in the best year they’ve ever had. Gems such as the latest from Arsis, The Dying Light, Neuraxis, Circle of Dead Children, Watchmaker, Crowpath and Kill the Client, only serve to help tighten Willowtip’s grip on metal’s premiere output. Admittedly, these sick bastards aren’t for everyone, but I encourage you to uncover an mp3 and judge for yourself. The fact that Willowtip carries this for $10 increases its attractiveness, which seems to say that temptation can be a good thing after all. Having that said, there are only a couple utterances left to scrawl. Watchmaker: more fucking violent than the apocalypse. More feared, too.

9/10

Official Watchmaker Website
Official Willowtip Records Website