circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Phobia – Cruel
Willowtip Records – WT043 – March 28th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

phobia.jpg

Digging their feet deeper into the footholds of grindcore, Willowtip’s latest acquisition sure has impressive credentials. Phobia have been around since 1990, and they’ve released four full-lengths with Cruel being their fifth. Surprisingly, Relapse Records didn’t keep these Californians in their fold even after ‘94’s Return to Desolation, which saw Raymond Herrera (Fear Factory) helm the drumkit. But with Willowtip’s fixation on grindcore – brought to light through groups such as Circle of Dead Children, Kill the Client, Rotten Sound, and Watchmaker – Phobia should fit in nicely, like yet another piece to a never-ending puzzle.

Laying forth almost as many songs as minutes – 21 and 27, respectively – Cruel adheres to grind formulas, but also provides a sizeable portion of frenzied punishment. Now a trio, Phobia blast through each short-lived track as if their deaths depended on it, so in essence these guys leave nothing to the imagination because they don’t hold back. The musicianship is phenomenal, and the actual sound is kind of like a hodgepodge of all the grind groups currently calling Willowtip their home. While not quite as insane as Watchmaker or Magrudergrind, these men go for the jugular more often than not, like on “Scientific Fraud,” “Yankee Swine,” and “Enemy of the State.” At other times, hardcore peeks around the corner – “Let’s Get Pissed,” “Kill to Love,” plus “Numb.” For the most part, no matter which subgenre they tap, I’m a fan of what Phobia do. In addition, the record’s production is fantastic, which is attributable to none other than Scott Hull (Pig Destroyer, Agoraphobic Nosebleed), and Cruel flies by as most grind does, but perhaps as a result saves itself from overstaying its welcome.

Methinks this new signing will take a backseat to many other players on Willowtip’s roster, though in all fairness, it probably should. I mean, the label has some stiff grind competition. So while this doesn’t exactly trump the efforts of their labelmates, it’s a sturdy album from a reliable source. Nonetheless, I’ll get to the main gist: if you’re a Willowtip aficionado like me, then you’d pick this up without even needing to hear it first. It just depends on your priorities. You might want to go with Rotten Sound and Watchmaker first and then bestow some attention on Phobia. Could I be any less direct here? Maybe!

7.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Phobia Website
Official Willowtip Records Website