Waves CLA....

Ben Johnson

SSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Jan 17, 2006
Chicago
It's been a long time since I've used a real 1176 (and I never had the chance to really learn it inside out), but holy crap CLA is the best set of non-sample based plugins I've ever used. So far I've only tried it on drums (SD2 multi with SSD'd "Frankensnare" - 1176 black on snare, blue stripe on toms, LA2A on room :)kickass:), LA3A on overheads. The drum bus is running through a hardware GSSL. As Tad Donley would say about his Newman U87, it is magnificent. :lol:

Makes me want to finish my 1176 rev D project that's been on hold forever and compare it to the plugin. I've read quite a few remarks that people couldn't tell the difference when they A/B'd them. But either way, these plugins are incredible.

Anybody else using CLA yet?

Yeah I've been using it for two months now. Great set of plug-ins, though for me the 1176 black is all that makes it onto the drums. Usually all buttons on the room mics, a conservative setting on OHs and a punishing one for parallel compression.

LA-3 has been going on guitars lately, as per CLA's recommendation, and it's nice. LA-2 usually hits the backing vocals and acoustic tracks that need soothing and thickening. Blue stripe on lead vocals. Works quite well.

I have Rev A and Rev D clones coming so I'll be able to do direct comparisons to the plug-ins and we can tell for ourselves.

I've also read reports where people couldn't tell the diff between the Waves SSL Bus Comp and the real deal, but given how much my GSSL slaughtered the plug-in, I'm a bit doubtful about people's sense of acuity.

Just got the CLA plugs within the last week and haven't really had a chance to use them thoroughly on any ground-up mixes, but I've fiddled with them a bit on clean guitars and bass, and I really like the way they behave...very musical and cool sounding. Definitely worth the money!

Just an insider tip after working these for a few weeks. Don't go overboard with the LA-3 on metal guitars! The slow release will totally eat the clarity of the transients and you'll get some serious volume swimming in and out. Lean on the trusty L2 and use it in conjunction with this thing to smooth out the tracks (and of course your tape saturation emu of choice - unless you have real tape available).