Waves CLA 1176 vs Real 1176 Clones (Shoot-ouuuutt!!!)

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

The clones finally got in! First order of the day was to do a 1:1 shoot-out with the Waves CLA pack on the same source material. I'll get straight to the details:

I've provided 6 files. 2 of each compressor working on bass only. 2 of each compressor working on vocals only. 2 of each compressor working on both bass AND vocals in the mix with drums.

Waves CLA 1176 Bluey was used on lead vox. Rev A 1176 clone was used to match.

Waves CLA 1176 Blacky was used on bass. Rev D 1176 clone was used to match.

Here are the settings:

Settings.jpg

Here are the files:

Bass

Rev D Clone

Blacky

Vox

Rev A Clone

Bluey

Mix

Clones

Waves

Enjoy and let us know what you think!

Yup...the Rev D clone all the way...it adds nice warmth! The bluey is just to sterile compared to the Rev D Clone and the blacky is messing with the high mids on the bass! 4 me...Clones FTW in this case!

Clones have the edge to my ears.
Not as noticeable on the vocals for me, but the difference was less subtle on the bass tracks. Definitely a little clearer and a little more defined

I didn't order the clones. I ordered the component parts and got a friend of mine to put them together. All up I can't remember the cost, but I believe it may have been in the several hundred mark. Possibly ~$700 all up. The knobs cost a ton, believe it or not. It was a hell of a job, putting the unit together, from what he told me. Lots of grounding and hum related issues due to units from this era generally using 'inferior' components ie. the shit that actually makes them sound good.

The plugin clips sound still and suppressed and the clones sound live and percussive. I'm not sure if they are the same level tough.. the clone clips sound a bit louder I think.

I didn't order the clones. I ordered the component parts and got a friend of mine to put them together. All up I can't remember the cost, but I believe it may have been in the several hundred mark. Possibly ~$700 all up. The knobs cost a ton, believe it or not. It was a hell of a job, putting the unit together, from what he told me. Lots of grounding and hum related issues due to units from this era generally using 'inferior' components ie. the shit that actually makes them sound good.

More info required! :)
Where did you order the schematics & components?
Got pics of the finished clones?

Go to http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/ to look up the DIY kits and info about them.

They have guys that sell the printed circuit boards on there too.

I built an SSL buss compressor clone (called the Gyraf SSL) and it sounds better than the plug-in version. The UAD 4K buss compressor gets the closest.

The plugin clips sound still and suppressed and the clones sound live and percussive.

EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY! The real thing seems to breath more and sound generally more organic and real?

The clones versions ARE louder though, it seems. But god damn do I LOVE how they totally PUSH the sound of the vox. It's like they give him his heart back, haha. WEIRD